Bearcat 246T Compare To ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

DS49

Does anyone know if the Bearcat 246T Is better then the radio shack Pro 97,95 or 92 models?

Thanks
DS49

Dubbin

Feed Provider
DS49 said:
Does anyone know if the Bearcat 246T Is better then the radio shack Pro 97,95 or 92 models?

Thanks
DS49

IMO it is better then all of those you listed.

b52hbuff

Dubbin said:
IMO it is better then all of those you listed.
That's a value judgement. :)

The 246 has 'Dynamic Memory' which is an amazing feature not available in any of the radios you've listed.

I'd say the radio is close to the Pro-97, but... the 246 doesn't have MilAir.

You could compare to to the Pro-92 in coverage, but... the 246 is harder to program for LTR.

DS49

Re-246T

Does anyone know if this scanner works well with the Edacs System?

Thank for all your help.

Dan

Dubbin

Feed Provider
I udes it to monitor American Electric Powers EDACS system here in Ohio and it worked great.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have several TXU (EDACS) sites programmed in my 246T, as well as the Irving (TX) EDACS system. Also several LTR systems.

b52hbuff

Dubbin said:
I have owned or used all three radios and again, IMO the 246 is the better radio.

I own Pro-92 & 246. I'm familiar with all of the radios. It sorta depends on what you want to do...

Although I'm "happy" with the 246, some people say it's a bit deaf. Through they say that about the Pro-92 as well.

If you want to do milair, you're hosed with any radio but the Pro-97.

but I'm more confident that the uniden radios will survive rebanding.

DS49

Re-246T

From what I here about the Uniden 246T, It sounds like the scanner to have. Thanks for everyones input on this. I live in the sunshine state of Edacs and that's why i was curious about this scanners performance doing Edacs. I will be purchasing this scanner real soon then. I was really sold on the size of this scanner and now to hear how good it works.

I hope all the agencies don't go Ecryption oneday. Like the FHP now that went Edacs Ecryption. Will have trow these good scanners in the garbage then.

This Is a great forum and let's keep up the good info.

Thanks All

b52hbuff

DS49 said:
From what I here about the Uniden 246T, It sounds like the scanner to have. Thanks All

If I were you, I'd consider the BR-330T. $50 gets you milair, and ~900 extra channels, and a much nicer display.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
DS49 said:
I live in the sunshine state of Edacs and that's why i was curious about this scanners performance doing Edacs.
I hope all the agencies don't go Ecryption oneday. Like the FHP now that went Edacs Ecryption. Will have trow these good scanners in the garbage then.
Thanks All

It seems that you're hinting that you live in Florida. Just understand that no scanner made will receive the State of Florida EDACS system.

And like someone else suggested, look at the BR330T as a possible alternative to the BC246T. Has wider frequency coverage.

DS49

Re-246T

Edacs works in Melbourne Fl with no problem. FHP is using Edacs Ecryption and they can't be heard. From Titusville to Indian River County are still be heard on Edacs anolog in the clear. I have bought this 246T off a seller on here. I will give it the test when it arrives. If I'm not satisfied with it then I will resell it for something else. I played with the Pro 97 and that works pretty good on edacs. I was more impressed with the size of this 246. I hope it work well just like the pro 97.

mike_webb59

My 95 was my first (sigh). Bought the 246T so I'd have an analog scanner after rebanding (and waiting for a good used digital scanner until then).

Both scan conventional, MOT Trunks and Standard EDACS

The 246T scans narrow EDACS, LTR; detects and can use CTCSS/DCS squelch tones; has the close call/signal stalker feature, dynamic memory, backlight options, SAME weather. It has a different look and feel.

The Pro95 has fewer buttons and knobs, better reception, easier Wx operation and lockouts (IMHO), easier delay and lockout "on the fly". It also fits in a standard radio clip.

Dynamic Memory is good that you can assign only the channels you need for a TRS. With the 95, I sometimes program in conventional channels in the same bank -- so if I disable a bank, I disable a Trunk AND a series of frequencies. With dynamic memory a TRS is programmed as a "system," more like a "bank." Since there are only 10 digits (0-9) you still have only 10 quick keys. This is good because you can then take a "system" and break it down into 10 "groups;" be it sub-banks of conventional frequencies or TGIDs split out. This is a challenge if you are frequently locking in and out by banks and you have something like 6 TRS's and 6 conventional groups. I have one setup with something like 8 TRS's with fewer than 10 channels or talkgroups programmed as systems, then two systems with 10 groups each with more than 100 channels programmed as systems. So I get 'stuck' in a system for a while. I'll have to look at reprogramming w/o quick keys, I guess.

But for me, I program by area and while moving about, activate and disable by geography. Gets tricky, but you can do it.

Also the RS scanners can do some tricks about programming in multiple MOT CC channels into the same bank so you can program multiple sites of a MOT systems using the same talkgroups.

And in the long run, the 246T will still work after rebanding for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.