Bearcat 3 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

amv1985

I own an ancient Bearcat 3 police scanner, I had a few questions:

1. Is it possible to upgrade this model? by buying current frequency crystals for my county
2. Is there a place where I can buy frequency crystals yet
3. HOw do I Know which crystals I need

Thanks for youre help Im new to owning a police scanner :)

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.8 KB · Views: 171

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
In short the answer is no. Many Public Safety agencies have moved to 700/800 Mhz and are utilizing trunking and digital forms of communications like P25, MotoTrbo, and NXDN and a few others. Depending on your location there may be some remaining Analog non-trunking frequencies being used in which case you could purchase crystals. There are a few remaining crystal manufacturers like International Crystal and a couple of others that could make crystals for your scanner. Time and technology has passed your scanner by.
BB

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You definitely have a piece of history in your possession! That was probably the first scanner (as opposed to a dial type radio) going back 40 years ago.

If you can post which county/state you are interested in, we might be able to look in the database (noting you are a new user and might need a little extra help). Knowing this will help us say whether there are still analog channels still in use that could be received by your scanner.

I should also note that there are three bands receivable by this scanner - VHF Low, VHF High and UHF. There are "boards" inside the scanner - two of them - which determine the band the scanner is capable of receiving. You'll have to remove the outer cover to look at these boards, which is what you'd have to do to install the crystals if you get them. If my memory is correct, there is one screw to remove at the bottom of the scanner.

This will help to determine whether you have the right modules making the crystals usable. For example if your county uses UHF, but you only have VHF Low and VHF high, you'll be out of luck.

Doing a google search for Bearcat III should show a number of places where crystals are available. You can also find an operating manual on line.

JamesO

Hopefully you live in an area that still simulcasts Fire Dispatch on original analog channels.

You will not hear all the action, but at least the Dispatches.

For example I live is a major metro area and a few departments in the area and surrounding the area. This is for legacy pagers, volunteers and other purposes.

RonnieUSA

I own an ancient Bearcat 3 police scanner, I had a few questions:

1. Is it possible to upgrade this model? by buying current frequency crystals for my county
2. Is there a place where I can buy frequency crystals yet
3. How do I Know which crystals I need

Thanks for your help I'm new to owning a police scanner :)

1 It depends on where You live, and what bands they use.
2 Police Scanner Crystals Stocked at Ken's Electronics, (Wholesale & Retail Electronic Parts) Kalamazoo, Michigan
3 Check the database for where You live.

oracavon

In short the answer is no. Many Public Safety agencies have moved to 700/800 Mhz and are utilizing trunking and digital forms of communications like P25, MotoTrbo, and NXDN and a few others. Depending on your location there may be some remaining Analog non-trunking frequencies being used in which case you could purchase crystals. There are a few remaining crystal manufacturers like International Crystal and a couple of others that could make crystals for your scanner. Time and technology has passed your scanner by.
BB

Sorry, I have to disagree with you here. The real answer is maybe, depending on where your live. I have a collection of old crystal scanners which work just fine in Southern California, including large agencies like the California Highway Patrol and the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department, as well as several other agencies in Los Angeles County. Other parts of the country also have numerous agencies still using analog channels.

Those of us who still collect and still listen to crystal scanners usually buy used crystals for $4 - $10 each from the following places:

Electronics, Cars, Fashion, Collectibles, Coupons and More | eBay
XTAL1
Scanner Crystals | Bearcat Regency Police Fire EMS Radio Scanner Crystal
Radio Crystals For Sale
Police Scanner Crystals Stocked at Ken's Electronics, (Wholesale & Retail Electronic Parts) Kalamazoo, Michigan

amv1985, you should look up your state and county in the Radio Reference frequency database to see what analog frequencies are in use in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.