Bearcat 996XT HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkline

I purchased this unit for my husband for xmas. So far it's been a bummer gift. Can not figure out how to program anything in it. It is set up for every state BUT ours. Online instructions are useless. Downloaded ARC996 and can't figure out that software....the unit didn't even have the programming cord in the box so that I can hook it up to the computer. I will pay someone to program it if that is what it takes......I just wish I knew that the $500.00 i spent was only going to be a base fee. Can anyone send me something I can use to help me program the unit? Freescan...what it that?
I live in San Diego, CA my email is mslyonss619@cox.net.
Thanks.

captclint

Mentor
I purchased this unit for my husband for xmas. the unit didn't even have the programming cord in the box so that I can hook it up to the computer.
Welcome to RR. Every unit should come with the PC cable, In fact, I think Uniden is finally sending a USB instead of serial cable. I would double check the packing, but if not there, make a complaint to the seller. Once you get that, we can definitely get you started with ARC software and using it to fill up your new toy with CA freq's. FreeScan does the same thing as ARC996, but both need the PC to scanner cable. Even if someone sends you a file ready to use in ARC500, you still need the cable, so make that a priority. If you don't get anywhere with the seller, then the Uniden Rep on this board may be able to give you some advice.

Last edited:

elrod

Welcome to RR. Every unit should come with the PC cable, In fact, I think Uniden is finally sending a USB instead of serial cable. I would double check the packing, but if not there, make a complaint to the seller. Once you get that, we can definitely get you started with ARC software and using it to fill up your new toy with CA freq's. FreeScan does the same thing as ARC996, but both need the PC to scanner cable. Even if someone sends you a file ready to use in ARC500, you still need the cable, so make that a priority. If you don't get anywhere with the seller, then the Uniden Rep on this board may be able to give you some advice.
Hi,
REcheck your packaging. Uniden likes to hide the cable in the bubble wrap that protects the scanner.
It would be between some cardboard. Check everything twice. That is how I found mine.
Good luck,
Chuck

sjlamb

The cable is definitely in the packaging. I wish I had a dollar for everytime someone has reported that the cable was not included and ultimately found it after re-checking the packaging materials.

The radio you bought is the best available but takes some time for a less experienced user to learn how much it can do. Once you have found your cable and have hooked up to the computer, open up your ARC-XT software to start becoming familiar with that software. Then.... check back here for further help in getting the radio set up for your local area.

hint: subscribe to this site so that you can download from the frequency database directly into the scanner. It will make your life infinitely easier for just a few dollars.

Last edited:

W6SDF

AKA Scorch
I'm in SD too! I just got one of these and I feel your pain on programming. I finally got SD County RCS programmed VIA Freescan on day 2. As I was instructed on my post elsewhere in this topic, the programming cable is probably in the box opposite from where the cables you did find were. I'll be happy to help in any way I can, but I'm afraid it would be the blind leading the blind at this point.

Edit - I see you're in Lakeside, right around the corner! Maybe we can have a programming party some day...

Last edited:

terryyvr

Hi Scorch I only got 1 Cable which is a Port I think it's called cable? it has 5 Prongs, beside another set of prongs of 4. I'm located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. No where near Lakeside.

I had the Scanner programmed the other day, for our Emergency Services, but when I tried add more on a different bank, somehow I did something wrong, & now I can't pick anything up?:(

captclint

Mentor
Hi Scorch I only got 1 Cable which is a Port I think it's called cable? it has 5 Prongs, beside another set of prongs of 4. I'm located in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. No where near Lakeside.

I had the Scanner programmed the other day, for our Emergency Services, but when I tried add more on a different bank, somehow I did something wrong, & now I can't pick anything up?:(
The 996XT does not have banks. What scanner do you have? Do you have any software? If so, did you use it to add freq's to a different bank(system?).

zkline

Programming Party

I'm in SD too! I just got one of these and I feel your pain on programming. I finally got SD County RCS programmed VIA Freescan on day 2. As I was instructed on my post elsewhere in this topic, the programming cable is probably in the box opposite from where the cables you did find were. I'll be happy to help in any way I can, but I'm afraid it would be the blind leading the blind at this point.

Edit - I see you're in Lakeside, right around the corner! Maybe we can have a programming party some day...

Scorch....sounds great to me. Let me dig through the 3 boxes of Xmas stuff to see if I can't find that dang cord! My number is 858-xxx-xxxx. I can be reached in the evenings if you want to give me a call and offer any advice.
Thanks!
Zach.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Zach,

I edited your post to remove your phone number, its advised that you not do that in a public forum.:D You can contact other members with email or our PM system to give out your phone number.:)

Let me know if there is anything else we can help you with, welcome to RR.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you are comparing it to conventional channels, then it is likely you have your conventional channels programmed as NFM when they are being transmitted FM (which would overmodulate and make those channels louder than they should be...if you turn the scanner down for those channels, P25 and other correctly programmed channels will have low audio).

Status
Not open for further replies.