Bearcat BCD996XT Serial Port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickman852

I downloaded FreeScan onto my laptop and got all the systems I wanted to program into my 996xt onto Freescan. The problem is my laptop doesn't have a serial port which is the only cable the scanner comes with. Any suggestions to overcome this obstacle? Maybe a USB-serial port adapter?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I downloaded FreeScan onto my laptop and got all the systems I wanted to program into my 996xt onto Freescan. The problem is my laptop doesn't have a serial port which is the only cable the scanner comes with. Any suggestions to overcome this obstacle? Maybe a USB-serial port adapter?
A USB-to-Serial port adapter is what I'm using on my laptop (Vista 64 Home premium). This one works flawlessly for me. There are a number of manufacturers of these, Targus & Belkin among he better known names. This one is a generic, but the price was right & it works. Similar ones all over eBay.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
This exact cable will transfer data from any laptop into the BCD996XT?
There's no way to know that a specific product will work with every possible hardware/software combination out there. However it does work well for me, and a number of others. It works with my laptop (Vista), which has no serial port, and a couple of XP desktops (to add a second port). While I don't have the 996XT, I do have the 396XT, and use the same software (FreeScan) and cable (it's the same for all of the Uniden DMA scanners).

You do need to install the current driver for the cable, regardless of which laptop, or for a desktop without a serial port. This one came with a min-cd with drivers. Some of the other one's available point you to a website for download. I've had no issues at all with it. One note- Run the driver install first, then plug in the cable (which ever one you buy). Also, I've noticed that Windows assigns a different COM port # to the adapter depending on which USB port it's plugged into. For one port (the one I initially used), Windows recognizes it as "COM 7", and I have to make sure FreeScan is using that setting. But, if I have the cable (also a USB) for my PSR500 plugged in that port, and use the one next to it, Windows assigns the adapter to "COM 6". Not a big deal, but it can throw you off track if you're not used to it.

If you'd rather not deal with an adapter, you can simply order the Uniden USB-1 cable. Here it is on ScannerMaster's page. There is also a link there to download the drivers. This cable will also work. The adapter was a better way for me to go, since I also have a an older scanner, that uses a different cable. There is no USB version for it, only the serial cable that came with it. The USB-1 is available from multiple dealers besides ScannerMaster, and also directly from Uniden.

Status
Not open for further replies.