BearCat III (electra) power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ref-Jazzy

I have a Bearcat Electra III scanner. During my recent move, the power cord has come up missing. It has for prongs sticking out the back. Im savy enough to make a new power cord, but does any one know what prongs go to what? I would rather not have to open it up and figure it out that way.

Thanks,
Jazzy

fineshot1

I have a Bearcat Electra III scanner. During my recent move, the power cord has come up missing. It has for prongs sticking out the back. Im savy enough to make a new power cord, but does any one know what prongs go to what? I would rather not have to open it up and figure it out that way.

Thanks,
Jazzy

Open up the cabinet and with a multimeter and ohm out which prong or prongs is connected to ground
and you should be able to observe the + connection inside to the circuit board. Its not that hard to
do and its no big deal. This is a very very old crystal model and you may have a difficult time finding
documentation on it. It was a great model in its day and the audio from the big speaker was fantastic.

PS - This power plug is known as a "Jones Plug"

jackj

The radio uses the same connector on the chassis for both 120v AC and 12v DC power. One pin goes to the chassis so that will show a short between that pin and the case. Use a multimeter set for low range ohms and check for continuity between two other pins. Those pins should be the AC input. I don't remember if the on/off switch controls the AC as well as the DC but you can check that.

I would be a lot easier to take out the one screw holding the case, slip the case off of the chassis and look at the wiring.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those connections are NOT as easy as all that. There are jumpers inside that Jones socket on the end of the (missing) cord you'll have to figure out before you let the smoke out of the box.

pinetree

I found an old manual for a Bearcat III The AC power is connected to 4 and 2 On DC 1 and 3 are connected with the hot in 2

Status
Not open for further replies.