Bearcat III Electra ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Okay, bare with me as I have never even touched an older scanner before. But I just received this scanner from crackofdawnpawn (Thanks a lot!). I have no power connection, where would I get one?? I have absolutely no idea how to program it and I have no antenna for it. Anybody with this radio that could at least get me started? Kind of broad questions, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Dylan

SCPD

QRT
Bearcat III Electra

G&G Communications

Phone 585-768-8151

Fax 585-768-7151

E mail ggcomm@iinc.com

I have delt with them, good person. He's located in upstate New York.

RBMTS

The Bearcat Electra III is a crystal scanner. You'll need to start buying crystals for your area at $5 a pop, unless you can find a Ebay auction for bulk crystals that might include the frequencies you want. The power connection is a 4 blade plug. As I remember, two were used for AC and two for DC. I don't have schematics anymore so I can't tell you which was which. Perhaps you can open up the case and look to see which were the DC connections and direct wire a 12v DC wallwart to it for power. You might be able to find some wired plugs on Ebay, but probably not worth it - better to make your own as above.

The III is a nice scanner, and makes a nice dedicated/slaved monitor for a particular VHF or UHF frequency. Beyond that, not much you can do.

GTO_04

That was my very first scanner! It was pretty good in it's day, with outstanding sensitivity. Back in those days most everything was on low band. Range was outstanding, even with the stock telescoping antenna.

You may already know this, but the III doesn't cover 800 MHz.

GTO_04

SCPD

QRT
Okay guys… thanks a lot for the quick responses. Greatly appreciated. I will get in contact with the G&G communications. Any idea where exactly I can get crystals at other than eBay?? Thanks on the power info as well.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!
-Dylan

SCPD

QRT
Okay, another question, another scanner. I also have the Regency R806? scanner, I assume this is a crystal controlled scanner as well?, so it works like my Bearcat III ? Other than that, I have the antenna and power cord.

-Dylan

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
crystals

G&G should be able to fix you up with crystals. Just be ready with the frequencies you want...

pinetree

On a bearcat 3 you will have to know which frequency range boards are installed You can check this by the lables on the 2? boards installed or by the crystals already installed. Any fruther questions PM me

SCPD

QRT
pinetree said:
On a bearcat 3 you will have to know which frequency range boards are installed You can check this by the lables on the 2? boards installed or by the crystals already installed. Any fruther questions PM me

Okay, will do.

Thanks guys.

fnnm400

Premium Subscriber
Bearcat III

That is a great scanner, That was my very first radio, paid 169.00 plus 7.00 a crystal at Kmart! Whew, that was a long time ago and the beginning of a business for me.

I have a fair amount of crystals I aqquired from a company that went out of business. Send me the freq's you are looking for and I'll check when I return to the office on Friday or Saturday.

fnnm400@fnnm.net

Joseph11

Note that Electra and Regency scanners have different IFs. For example, if you have a crystal for you Regency scanner on 453.1500 MHz, it'd be 453.2500 MHz in your Electra scanner.

BTW, another place you can get crystals from is Robert Ott Electronics.

Status
Not open for further replies.