• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bearcat980 SSB cb radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveDesjardins

Premium Subscriber
Hi im planning to buy the bearcat980 SSB cb radio and i was wondering if it’s good?

also i want to know if i can plug an external jumbo meter on it? (i want to use it mainly to speak with other people. but also to play transmitter hunting sometimes)

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
While I don't own one I've read/watched a lot of reviews on the 980SSB and it appears to one of the best out-of-the-box "legal" SSB CB's available today. There is a simple modulation adjustment that can improve modulation to perform a little better if you feel the need.

DaveDesjardins

Premium Subscriber
I have two. They work great... Don't pay to have it peaked, they don't peak...
They perform (IMHO) better when using side band.
You'll want a good antenna.
Don't rely on the built-in SW meter...

Thanks for the information, for the antenna i heard that the wilson 5000 is one of the best antenna is that true?

jassing

Premium Subscriber
They are fine. If you want the best, get a 1/4 wave whip (about 102")
I like the 5' firestik, but those are stout antennas, meaning they transfer any impact to the mount.
The most important thing is tune the antenna once everything is installed : preferably in an open field.

Super60

I have one and its very good for the price. Its more stable on SSB than most CBs and it has a good receiver. A few simple adjustments to the transmitter and an aftermarket preamp mic will make it sound nice.

I am considering one of these 980's for a base station for mainly SSB. Where can I find these few adjustment points you speak of? I am just getting back into CB's and like the fact that the 980's don't really need to be tuned by a technician to work well. I am also considering a small sized helper for it also.
Thanks

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
The 980 is a good radio, but comparing it to the President line of SSB radios would be like comparing a Volkswagen to a Cadillac.. Hard to beat the new President line of radios.. That's my .02 on the subject:)

prcguy

I found a couple of Youtube videos that pointed out the mod limiter for AM and ALC adjustment for SSB. I don't recommend making any other transmitter adjustments unless you are well versed in alignment procedures and have proper test equipment. Anyway, disabling most of the mod limiter and adding a good preamp mic will really wake things up on transmit. I find the receiver to be just fine and very stable on SSB.

I am considering one of these 980's for a base station for mainly SSB. Where can I find these few adjustment points you speak of? I am just getting back into CB's and like the fact that the 980's don't really need to be tuned by a technician to work well. I am also considering a small sized helper for it also.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.