454.4750 CB NXDN96 RAN:3
2xTowers Same RAN:3
New Braunfels
San antonio

464.5500 NXDN96 CS RAN 3 TalkAround

kkn50

Long Time Member
Premium Subscriber
I am downtown San Antonio using a SDS200. I have "BearCom(CentralTexasNexEdge)/NXDN/NEXEDGE4800" programmed as downloaded from the RR database - attached clips show details. I have heard nothing even though it indicates a strong signal. Are my settings correct or should I change something? Thanks.

Attachments

• bc1.JPG
    bc1.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 15
  • bc2.JPG
    bc2.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 16
  • bc3.JPG
    bc3.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 13

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I have to ask the obvious, you do have a NXDN upgrade for the SDS200 right? I usually get school buses and trash services when I turn those systems on

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I am downtown San Antonio using a SDS200. I have "BearCom(CentralTexasNexEdge)/NXDN/NEXEDGE4800" programmed as downloaded from the RR database - attached clips show details. I have heard nothing even though it indicates a strong signal. Are my settings correct or should I change something? Thanks.
I see that you have ID Search set. Did you download the listed talkgroups for the system?

If you did, but are still not hearing things, do you have the related service types enabled? Most of the entries are labeled 'Business', with a few 'Schools', along with a 'Security', 'Other', and 'Transportation'. If you have the listed TGIDs programmed, but the service types are not enabled, than ID Search will ignore them. If you did not have any talkgroups programmed, the ID Search would capture any active talkgroup.

Under the Analyze option on the scanner's menu, try System Status for the site you have programmed. That will give you signal strength, quality of the signal (poor quality would inhibit decoding the active transmissions successfully), and how active it is.

Also, it is possible that the 'strong signal strength' indication you see might not be your programmed system. The SDS scanners are very good at decoding most systems, but they are not as effective as previous models in ignoring interference and transmissions from nearby signal sources. You might try changing filter settings to see if it improves. While setting the filter at Auto really slows down scanning as the scanner tries each filter setting on a system, auto might at least indicate that a effective filter could result in receiving the system. In other words, if it were to start working in "Auto", then try the various available choices, one at a time, to find the one that Auto chose.

riverradio68

Feed Provider
I asked my Bearcom rep about this system, he is at the corporate HQ in Garland and been there for going on 20 years and they have never heard of Bearcom building their own system. What he did say however is that Motorola is constructing a nationwide DMR system and Bearcom will be the subscriber distributor. For whatever that's worth .... Maybe he isn't in the loop because its not in his paygrade.

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I asked my Bearcom rep about this system, he is at the corporate HQ in Garland and been there for going on 20 years and they have never heard of Bearcom building their own system. What he did say however is that Motorola is constructing a nationwide DMR system and Bearcom will be the subscriber distributor. For whatever that's worth .... Maybe he isn't in the loop because its not in his paygrade.
Bearcom bought S&P Communications in San Antonio a few years back. They constructed and operated the two systems. The South Texas system may have been built by another company based out of Corpus Christi that was bought by S&P.

Status
Not open for further replies.