BearTracker 885

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
An antenna inside a vehicle is pretty much useless. You need antennas outside the vehicle for CB and VHF/UHF if you want to hear anything. Otherwise, blaming the radio for poor performance is pretty hilarious.

ot0tot

Premium Subscriber
I think for the intended application - monitoring communications in the immediate area - the included antenna is more than sufficient. If anything, the P25 decode on my 885 sounds better than my WS1080 with an external antenna.

My issue is that it is not filtering TGs by area, and playing every TG on my statewide system. Thus the scanner is never quiet, and is constantly playing traffic from well outside my immediate area.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If the radio is mounted under the dash near the floor, reception with any ducky antenna is going to be something between crap and zero.

And if you are getting statewide traffic, it is because the local sites are configured to broadcast non-local talkgroups. Deliberately crippling reception by using a poor antenna won't solve the problem.

ot0tot

Premium Subscriber
If the radio is mounted under the dash near the floor, reception with any ducky antenna is going to be something between crap and zero.

The 885 comes with a suction cup wire antenna, meant to be mounted on a windshield. I can't imagine anyone trying to install a ducky antenna under a dash.

I agree a WS mounted antenna is nowhere near ideal performance wise, but for the intended application it is more than adequate.

And if you are getting statewide traffic, it is because the local sites are configured to broadcast non-local talkgroups. Deliberately crippling reception by using a poor antenna won't solve the problem.

The issue is the 885 gives you no control over what TGs are monitored, even though it knows your GPS location.

ot0tot

Premium Subscriber
Gave the 885 another shot today and it is completely unusable.

The scanner side keeps stopping on digital channels it can't decode, and need to be manually locked out (2 button presses to select AVOID) before it will continue scanning. And,, as another member mentioned above, the AVOID list is cleared at every power cycle, so I have to go through the same thing every time I turn the unit on.

Am I missing something important in the setup or operation?

Did anyone at Uniden actually try this thing before shipping them out?

imd

My local Radio Shack store doesn't have them in stock yet.

Not sure if you're being facetious or you are actually expecting them to carry a CB that retails for $449 with the next most expensive CB going for $179.

Heck, you got me thinking where my local RS is. In a city of 3 million, the only one that shows up within 25 miles is some independent computer repair store. Not sure if the last mom & pop electronics RS affiliate would want a $449 CB sitting on his shelf for a year.

ot0tot

Premium Subscriber
My local Radio Shack store doesn't have them in stock yet.

If you're really looking for one, HamStation ($379), ScannerMaster ($399), and MTC ($448) have them in stock.

BearTracker 885 Uniden PLUS $15 for shipping SPECIAL SHORT TIME Uniden BearTracker 885 [] - $379.95 : The Hamstation!, Your one stop on-line source for amateur radio fun.

Uniden BearTracker 885 Police Scanner | ScannerMaster.com

Uniden BearTracker 885 Hybrid CB Radio/Digital Scanner W/ GPS - Main Trading Company

I would read through this thread and make sure you understand the limitations before buying though. I was hoping for a lot more from this unit.

KC3ECJ

We monitor the input side conventionally. When in its intended use environment (out on the open highway), 90% or more of the hits you'll get by monitoring input are going to be due to PD/FD/EMS radio traffic (more on some systems). For BWS, TGID is not checked.

It cannot monitor OpenSky.

Im not asking if it decodes OpenSky, I am asking if it detects the presence of it.

Stormfax

I would read through this thread and make sure you understand the limitations before buying though. I was hoping for a lot more from this unit.

Thanks, I think the better choice for me would be a separate CB and digital scanner.
BTW, Radio Shacks in the Philadelphia area will all be closing their doors for good on the 28th.
Wow, that's the end of an era.

Trucker700

Really considering this radio. One question I have not seen answered is, will the updates from Radio Reference cost extra? Having read reviews of other Uniden scanners, it seems that in order to get updates for a radio's database, it requires a paid subscription. Or, am I misunderstanding something?
trucker700

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
No. Database updates are free (just as they are for all of our other database-enabled scanners, HomePatrol-1, HomePatrol-2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP).

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Using the r r db to dl stuff needs subscription but uniden updates free direct from our db on Monday

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Trucker700

No. Database updates are free (just as they are for all of our other database-enabled scanners, HomePatrol-1, HomePatrol-2, BCD436HP, BCD536HP).

Thank you. Never know till you get it from the source.
trucker700

ot0tot

Premium Subscriber
@UPMan are there any firmware updates currently being worked on to address some of the above concerns, notably the wide fixed GPS alert radius and not filtering TGs on trunked systems?

Is Uniden planning on adding Sentinel compatibility so that enthusiasts have more control over what is scanned and what the GPS radius is?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
When will you guys get real? This not a scannist toy. This is a CB with a scanner aimed at the mainly CB crowd. It is never going to be a powerhouse scanner. To do all the bells and whistles you want they would have to get rid of the CB half or rebuild from get go and price near a grand

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

movinon

Premium Subscriber
It will be a great product for the average trucker.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.