beaufort county reband

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebird400

I have lost part of the transmissions from HHI fire dispatch anyone know what happened?I tried the new 800 numbers for the beaufort county reband, but this did not help.

bpalmer

Beaufort County is in the process of instaloing a P-25 system. I do not consider this a reband as the old frequencies where never in the reband area. That said radio manages begged in open session for up to 16 million for Nextel Rebanding,.rather odd as Nextel rebanding is free to host systems that need to change.

Some county councilk mambers are begining to wonder about the costs of this system.

THe P-25 CC is 857.4375, the analog system CC is now only on 857.2125. There are six new frequencies in use on the old system and analog frequencies not in use.

At present there are no voice channels showing up. An ID channel and a data channel or two.inaddition to the CC

As long as you have a trunk tracker radio and the 857.2125 in the radio you should recieve as before. All TG's remain the same at present and nothing is on the P-25 system at present.

New Fewuenciesw on old system

Last edited:

firebird400

I think that its an 800 freq, and I have also found that the problem is in my scanner its getting a little old time for a new one i guess.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> Beaufort County is in the process of instaloing a P-25 system. I do not consider this a reband as the old frequencies where never in the reband area.

"Rebanding" is not just about the trunked system ... it's about the entire 800 MHz radio system, conventional repeater channels included.

I count 13 Beaufort County licensed frequencies that quality under the rebanding process:

- 5 conventional rptr frequencies under callsign WPUW917

- 5 conventional rptr frequencies under callsign WPJS626 (the former I-Tac channels)

- 1 conventional rptr frequency under WQEH988

- the 2 860.xxxx trunked frequencies under callsign WNRA431 (the licensee has the option of requesting rebanding of frequencies in the 860 MHz segment, under rebanding, since they are directly adjacent to the ESMR / Nextel band starting at 861 MHz ... so Beaufort County may end up discontinuing use of those two frequencies once rebanding is complete)

All of the above frequency changes will require radio reprogramming or replacement, as well as retuning of the transmitter equipment and antennas, under rebanding.

>> That said radio manages begged in open session for up to 16 million for Nextel Rebanding,.rather odd as Nextel rebanding is free to host systems that need to change.

My guess is that some of the $16 million was requested to upgrade to P25, which is not covered by rebanding.

And "rebanding" is NOT free. What will be - and will not be - covered by Nextel is decided ahead of any physical work. From what I've read, most agreements do not cover any bench time to confirm that a radio is operating in-spec ... if you have a mobile radio that hasn't been checked in a long time, and it has to be pulled, you may want to pay to have a bench check done while it's out.

I hope that clarifies things a bit.

bpalmer

I was only refering to the trunked system. There are the five ITAC frequencies that are in the reband and five conv 800 in the reband called Natioanl Emergency which are under call sign WPUW917 Both groups are used as backup for main system failure..well they would be if the troops knew they where there and understood there purpose.

WQEH988, I am not at all familiar with that group or that call sign. It is a two repeater group on each of the five towers used by the main system. I looked at my chart, the 853.5875 is the ID channel for P-25

All the money was to buy the P-25 system. I find fault with the fact that all they ever said was for Nextel Rebanding, and hiding from the public, if not the council, that they where buying something new and not really needed. Yes ten or 11 willl need reband, but the analog radio could have handled that, lthough getting to the 6.25 might have been difficult.

You might note that this was sold to county council as Nextel Reband which it never was except for the back up Frequencies. I admit there ten or 11 are in the reband, I will monitor the 868.5875 to see if anything there.

WNRA431 is the main system and the 2 at 860.xxxx have not ben heard in several weeks, nor have four others above 857.4375 (the CC for P-25).

Now i am getting confused here in that I was made aware that the reband area was above 866. not 861. I might have misunderstood. Some one have a reasearch link for this. Thanks

Last edited:

bpalmer

firebird400 there is a simulcast HHI fire dispatch on 154.145 (without tone you will hear a couple of distant counties.) Also 154.355 is VHF pageout for the rest of the counties fire department (save military and Dafuskie), and EMS uses 155.175 for their pageouts. Check the database for tones.

Last edited:

jeffmulter

>> I was only refering to the trunked system.

As I previously stated, rebanding covers the entire 800 system - trunked and conventional repeated. So it is incomplete to only refer to part of the system and claim there was no rebanding.

>> WQEH988, I am not at all familiar with that group or that call sign. It is a two repeater group on each of the five towers used by the main system. I looked at my chart, the 853.5875 is the ID channel for P-25

853.5875 is the replacement frequency, under rebanding, for the original NPSPAC frequency - 868.5875 - that the county was licensed for. The license will reflect both frequencies until the rebanding is complete, and the licensee notifies the F.C.C. that it is no longer using the NPSPAC channel.

>> All the money was to buy the P-25 system. I find fault with the fact that all they ever said was for Nextel Rebanding, and hiding from the public, if not the council, that they where buying something new and not really needed.

For some systems, rebanding may be the best time to transition to P25 because it may save money in some aspects. For instance, if you have a large inventory of analog trunked radios that must be replaced during rebanding, it may be a good time to pay the difference in cost to upgrade to radios that are P25 capable.

Keep in mind that support for 3600 baud analog trunked systems through Motorola is waning.

>> Yes ten or 11 willl need reband, but the analog radio could have handled that, lthough getting to the 6.25 might have been difficult.

I don't know how much access Beaufort County personnel have on the Palmetto system, but access on the state system will become more and more limited as it transitions to P25 talkgroups.

>> You might note that this was sold to county council as Nextel Reband which it never was except for the back up Frequencies.

Again, you need to get a better understanding of when rebanding means, and how important it is, and why so many agencies nationwide are jumping through hoops to get it accomplished.

>> WNRA431 is the main system and the 2 at 860.xxxx have not ben heard in several weeks, nor have four others above 857.4375 (the CC for P-25).

Considering the number of frequencies in the original trunked system, getting 6 new frequencies from the rebanding process was pretty significant. I'm guessing that 2 or those 6 new frequencies were replacements for the 860.xxxx frequencies.

If that's the case, those 860.xxxx frequencies will eventually disappear from the license ... just as 868.5375 will, and as the NPSPAC ITAC frequencies will.

>> Now i am getting confused here in that I was made aware that the reband area was above 866. not 861. I might have misunderstood. Some one have a reasearch link for this. Thanks

There's some information in the RadioReference wiki section. A good resource is the APCO website. I also have followed the PrivateWirelessForum and LMR groups on Yahoogroups for years, and find the experiences shared by the people in the LMR business to be an excellent tutorial.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
As well also note the entire original Palmetto 800 is slowly being replaced by the Palmetto 25, which is P-25 completely. I would hazzard to guess that BC's new system will be part of the new Palmetto-25 system on some level, or at least be able to access it vias the Charleston County sites, and RSSI, and/or roaming TG's.

Current Rebanded licenses in BC-
WNRA431
WQEH988
rebanded trunked
WPJS626
WPUW917
rebanded conventional

Last edited by a moderator:

bpalmer

It is: system ID is 1D9 W:BE00.
A couple of weekends ago I heard here in Beaufort a new Chs County P-25 site come on line, though not rock solid. I suspect, as I haven't tried it yet.will regularly hear CHS Co here with some form of an outside antenna, may be slightly depended on band conditions.
Want be long coms will stretch from here to Georgetown

Last edited:

bpalmer

jeffmulter: I sliopoed and didn't see you there...All Bft Co public safety radios had Pal 800 in them and there own TG's in there that they never used due to cost, just a back up for the BFT TRS. Bft Co uses Pal 800 fairly regulary when dealing with Jasper co on Jasper's TG's, mostly fire and EMS.

Also as far as I know all non digital radio have been replaced with P-25 capable. Right now programing remains the same until P-25 actually is on line. In the past BFT CO radios have had in them Pal 800, Chs Co TRS and Savannah/Chatham TRS, plus various Mutual aid and backups

I have never considered ITAC and and the other back up as part of the system. To me the system was only the TRS.

WQEH988, As a NPSPAC, I wonder how it was used. May never know now, But the License was four years old and they have been talking P-25 about as long I wonder if that was a precursor move for the system.. I know NPSPAC tends to be backup, but units never used backups because they never truely understood there use

My guess is that all six of the new Freq are replacement for the six upper frequencies, I wonder if those currently unused Freqs will become part of P-25. Not sure there is anyway to know until they are turned on or never heard again.

Thanks for the reading, I have read some of that and a bunch of others including, but maybe missing something, the TA site, Transition Adminstro.

A useful site:Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Hey if you can run Pro96Com on the system log site ID and all the info you can and get it to the SC admins so they can update the DB to reflect the upgrade to the Palmetto-25

Here is the fully rebanded BC TRS -
WQEH988 YE
WNRA431 YE

You will need the rebanded tables to properly track this system if it is still an Motorla Type II as it is using the lower tier of freqs.

If you wish I can also post the full rebanded conventional, both the NPSPAC, and the BC Conventional...

Last edited by a moderator:

bpalmer

The SC Admin is being kept up to date. Sometimes play by play Prp96Com is running now and nothing new seen today...However I have noticed that a new system going up, and this includes a site in CHS county, that when the crew is working on the system (best guess) the word "CHANGEME" appears in the call sign slot.

The Charleston thing was putting on line a new site close enough to Beufort to hear it activated. It is somewhat depended on band conditions to hear it in Beaufort

To repeat for those following this 853.5875 is the ID channel for the P-25 and 857.4375 is the CC, add 856.4375 as the third frequency.

The older system currently is only useing 857.2125 for cc where they used to rotate everyday

bpalmer

Jeffmuller, soryy I got so hung up with the county trying to passt off the Digital as reband I forgot about the other side of reband, that occurs on non digital frequencies. Affter consulting other, reading some,s I reset my analog scanlist with 800MHz rebanned and it seems to work better. Thanks for pushing me.

Digital CC is active with normally two other freqs showing up but not enough to post something solid at this time.

Billy
KE4CEV

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Someone please correct me if I'm wrongabout this, but even if the analog/Smartnet BC system did reband, none of the existing frequencies below 861MHz would be affected.

In comparing the table settings for 800MHz standard vs. Rebanded, they both include 0-719, 851.0125, 25kHz step. That table accounts for all of the .xx25 and .xx75 frequencies between 854 and 861, so the way the scanner handles those frequencies does not change. Only the 868.5375 frequency might change, but there is no evidence that I've heard that it has even been used as a voice freq on this system.

Can someone confirm that?

And by the way, once we get more data on the BC P25 site, I'll add that information to the DB. I don't see a reason to do so at this point, especially considering the site # provided to me for the BC tower is 1-062, which is the same site number currently listed for the Anderson County site. That could mean the Anderson site # has changed and we just haven't determined that yet, or it may be that the BC system is still not fully operational (my guess).

jeffmulter

Brian -

For hobby-listening purposes, none of the changes Beaufort County has made or requested for rebanding will adversely impact trunktracking the system, or listening to the conventional 800 MHz repeaters and new I-Tac assignments.

>> Only the 868.5375 frequency might change, but there is no evidence that I've heard that it has even been used as a voice freq on this system.

868.5375 did change. The rebanded assignment is 853.5375 (15 MHz down). Both frequencies are part of the same license, and will remain so until the licensee notifies the F.C.C. that the rebanding is complete. Billy has indicated that the new frequency is and "I-D" channel for the P25 site.

bpalmer

Still I am hearing BC TRS a little better using the Rebanned table. Concur the TRS sytem did not need to change frequncies as part of the rebanding, but there is the fair probablilty the night they added frequncies and played with the computer they may have changed the channel numbers so scanners might not hear all frequencies in trunked mode, if I understand what I read in the above RR reband web site

As a side note to all this, with everyone useing new radio, why does the system seem to have more static and apparently lots of audio volume problems and a lot more units walking or doubling over each other (I know the last is a user problem but it is really bad at times compared to before.)

Last edited:

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Today I added the information we have so far about the Beaufort County site of the Palmetto P25 system. Recent information suggests that some Beaufort County agencies may switch to this system as early as May. The system is still in testing phase at this time and no regular traffic is being heard. I'll update the information on this site as it is submitted.

KF4JYE

Premium Subscriber
Brian, The Anderson site is still 0162. I just confirmed it on by BC396T. However, in the last month, I have heard significantly less traffic on the P-25 system in Anderson. I am wondering if it has now rebanded, and thus I could be missing some of the transmissions. Any suggestions on how I can determine if it has rebanded? Active CC is still 853.1625. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.