Beaufort County

Status
Not open for further replies.

tilleyhat

I'll be at Beaufort region for vacations. About this county's FD, PD ...what systems do you suggest me to listen to. I'll stay at Hunting Island SP. Thanks in advance.
p.s: i post this demand because i'm not familiar with the s.c. trunking/conventional systems. i come from far far north :)

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Make sure to make the trek to the top of the lighthouse. It's pretty cool and that's where the 453.725 repeater used to be housed. Not sure if it still is.

Also, if you like sandwiches, you MUST eat at "Alvin Ords". They make sandwiches sort of like Quizzno's, but the bread is a round French bread style. They put Mozzarella on one side, Cheddar on the other and sprinkle Parmesan on both sides. Then they run it through the toaster with what ever you want on it.

I miss Beaufort and Hunting Island...

qball

Premium Subscriber
Make sure to make the trek to the top of the lighthouse. It's pretty cool and that's where the 453.725 repeater used to be housed. Not sure if it still is.

Also, if you like sandwiches, you MUST eat at "Alvin Ords". They make sandwiches sort of like Quizzno's, but the bread is a round French bread style. They put Mozzarella on one side, Cheddar on the other and sprinkle Parmesan on both sides. Then they run it through the toaster with what ever you want on it.

Wow, Alvin Ords. That brings back memories. Still on Ribault Road? I have not been there in years!

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Wow, Alvin Ords. That brings back memories. Still on Ribault Road? I have not been there in years!

I left Beaufort in 2000 and have trying to go back ever since. The last I heard, Alvin Ords is still there (right down the street from the Naval Hospital). I can't remember the name of the road, but you're probably right.

tilleyhat

- Even very far for me to reach Hunting Island State Park (from montreal), but EVERY summer, I take two weeks vacation to make sure to have enough time to relax at this beautiful coast park.
- I nerver heard about Alvin Ords' subs. I promise to taste it next august when i'll be there:)
- as per google maps, Alvin Ords should still there: 1415 Ribaut Rd
Port Royal, SC 29935 (843) 524-8222

thanks all of you for your freqs and sandwich's suggestion :)

Last edited:

bpalmer

Alvin Ords still here on Ribault Road, right across the street from a Palmetto 800 Tower

I believe that 453 repeater is used by the park rangers. I will try and see if it still works.
Beaufort County current;y use a standard Motorola Type 2 system which simulcast across five towers.
two of which service Hunting Island.

On 154.355 you can hear both sides of conversation until fire departments reaching the scene and goes to an ops channel on the 800 system. I noticed this year that Lady's Island fire has a small unit on the beach, though not sure if that is all summer long or just for the fourth of July holiday.

EMS stays on their channel heard on 155.175 through out an event, though they may briefly go to an off channel for stuff dispatcher does need to hear.

The 800 listing are up to date for Poice, Fire and EMS. There has been a change in the way ops channels are assigned, but the numbers are the same. (I need to tell Brian this so he can update DB)

You will clearly hear Hilton Head in Southern Beaufort County their Tone out is 154.145 (you can also clearly hear Colleton Co, and a location near Savannah on this) On dispatch they pretty much go to their Tac 1 or 2 as they leave their stations so you will need a 800MHz scanner--trunk is pretty much required to listen here do tohuge volume of traffic.

Hunting Island events fall under the park rangers amd Beaufort County Sheriff, Northern division. Fire is primarly Lady's Island/St Helena, but an agreement with Fripp Island fire has them come also on some events. Except for HHI all EMS is Beaufort County.

If your at Hunting Island you may find that the Shrimp Shack restauart near there (before Harbour River Bridge going towards Hunting Island) is a pretty darn good restaurant.

In the downtown area is a new and pretty good restaurant trying to be a diner located in a motel. Called Starving Artist Cafe, not touristy.

Tilleyhat send me a private message for more info on the area and radios here. If your a Ham it gets more interesting.

From far far north, I highly recomend you leave fur coat behind, find a pair of shorts

Last edited:

tilleyhat

...From far far north, I highly recomend you leave fur coat behind, find a pair of shorts
- one the best advice, thanks :)
- I'll bring my road bike with me. Do you know some beautiful and quite place, less car traffic for pedaling? Not only on Beaufort and St-Helena island but may be surroundings there, even at Hilton Head.
- At Hunting Island, what civil/mil aiport i can listen to? Charleston?
thanks again.

Last edited:

tilleyhat

Thanks all for your links. my wife should buy some more books while i listen to these freqs in hunting island beach:) :)

bonus1331

Anyone know why the Beaufort TRS has numbers under the alphatag fields in the database?
Makes it tough to use BcTool to program.
No other TRS in the database has this.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Anyone know why the Beaufort TRS has numbers under the alphatag fields in the database?
Makes it tough to use BcTool to program.
No other TRS in the database has this.

Beaufort County has actual channel numbers assigned to each talk group. So any agency can pick up another radio from another agency and know that if they go to channel "x", that it will be channel "x" on their radios too, i.e., Channel 72 is the HELP channel on every single radio on the system. Most of the other agencies either don't use the same approach, or who ever submitted the data on the other systems in question didn't know the actual channel number assignments on the other systems.

Beaufort County was the first TRS that I had the pleasure of monitoring and decoding all of the talk groups. I did this back in 1998 and continued to build my database until I left there in 2000. I submitted the data that I collected back when this site was called www.trunkedradio.net and little has changed since then. I was actually reprimanded for submitting some talk groups...lol I had a BC235XLT, so there were no alpha tags. I had a book with all of the talk groups that I'd keep handy for any talk group that didn't look familiar.

bonus1331

Scott, Thanks for the explanation.
However, I know BcTool and most likely the Butel software utilizes the alpha-tag field to include descriptors when importing into the software.
Ultimately, guess I can import and then hand add the alpha tags.
Heading to HH first of next month.

bpalmer

Scott, Since you left town they did an upgrade and did away with channel numbers. They are currently spending 12 million dollars or more for a Nextel Rebanding project, strange that is a free program and most of the system is not in rebanding territory, the radio boys want a new digital toy and bamboozled, at least publicaly, the county council and the general public.

You still in the Navy? No hurricane evac since you left and you and I only one with working radios in the county during part of Floyd. So much for 800MHz TRS in diasters. You may want to reply private message. Take care

tilleyhat

When i'll there at hunting island, i''l try to bring my scanner at the top of the lighthouse. I wonder at that height if i can hear Hilton Head or Charleston comms?

bpalmer

Just being on the beach you should be able to hear Charsleston County ands the Savannah system (Chataham/ Effingham Counties.) Not sure if you will be able to hear the City of Charleston System

Hilton Head is part of the Beaufort County system you should hear with out that climb. Two towers of the county system touch Hunting island. One on the South end of Hilton Head on Arrow Road and the other on Lands End Road on St. Helena Island. But don't let me stop your climb.

If you like lighthouse's and you are on Hilton Head, try the famous, though short HarborTown Light House in Harbor Town in Sea Pines ($5.00 Gate fee (unless you are living there, no someone there or are staying there). Not sure if a fee for the light house tour, certainly tourist stuff. There are a couple of decent restaurants are around that light house. Crazy Crab my Favorite and two at the bottom of the lighthouse, one name slips my mind at the moment. One is up a flight of stairs, the Quarterdeck and the other overlooks the Water. (used to be Cafe Europa)

I will say, I do not work for the Chamber of Commerce, i do not work for the Ch.....................

Last edited:

tilleyhat

Just being on the beach you should be able to hear Charsleston County ands the Savannah system (Chataham/ Effingham Counties.) Not sure if you will be able to hear the City of Charleston System

Hilton Head is part of the Beaufort County system you should hear with out that climb. Two towers of the county system touch Hunting island. One on the South end of Hilton Head on Arrow Road and the other on Lands End Road on St. Helena Island. But don't let me stop your climb.

If you like lighthouse's and you are on Hilton Head, try the famous, though short HarborTown Light House in Harbor Town in Sea Pines ($5.00 Gate fee (unless you are living there, no someone there or are staying there). Not sure if a fee for the light house tour, certainly tourist stuff. There are a couple of decent restaurants are around that light house. Crazy Crab my Favorite and two at the bottom of the lighthouse, one name slips my mind at the moment. One is up a flight of stairs, the Quarterdeck and the other overlooks the Water. (used to be Cafe Europa)

I will say, I do not work for the Chamber of Commerce, i do not work for the Ch.....................

- I take note all your lunch place suggestions. thanks. I like to take some panoramic photos from the last step of lighthouse every time i was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.