Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverspy

Does anyone have a 2020 update for the Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF? I noticed on the flight hazard map for this year that they have added some new repeaters, such as Selway Peak on the west Net, and others as well on the East (Beaverhead) and Deerlodge Nets. There is no corresponding new frequency/repeater list on the Dillon Interagency Dispatch site.

ecps92

Also seems to be some UHF Links, not previously noted or reported as well and the 2019 Guide does not list them
Does anyone have a 2020 update for the Beaverhead-Deerlodge NF? I noticed on the flight hazard map for this year that they have added some new repeaters, such as Selway Peak on the west Net, and others as well on the East (Beaverhead) and Deerlodge Nets. There is no corresponding new frequency/repeater list on the Dillon Interagency Dispatch site.

silverspy

On closer examination, it appears that some of the repeaters have been moved slightly and renamed, however, there are definitely a few new repeaters,that is new between 2019 and this year.

silverspy

I looked at the frequency/repeater listing from 2019. It looks to me, based on repeater assignments on the rest of the Forest, that the two new West net repeaters, Whiskey(old South Maeur Mtn link), and Selway Peak would be assigned tones of 123.0,146.2,156.7 or 167.9

es93546

A Member Twice
Premium Subscriber
Also seems to be some UHF Links, not previously noted or reported as well and the 2019 Guide does not list them

To the user on the ground, holding a handheld or using a mobile in their vehicle the linking system is of little relevance. The really don't know how remote bases and UHF links work. The guides often ignore the subject of remote bases that can be used in the simplex mode. Some guides used to have forests that would say "to reach dispatch direct on the highlighted (*, ** or Black Mtn) sites on Channels 1 & 3, use Tone 8, 5. etc." Only 4 of the 18 forests in California even mention that base stations can be reached on simplex. Many of the 14 remaining forests have a statement that you have to use a repeater to reach dispatch. I'm seeing fewer forest that mention direct communications on their forest, admin, service or whatever nets. Some field personnel might understand how a remote base works, but can be fuzzy on how they are linked. They can use phone lines, Voip, UHF or microwave. The average user doesn't really know much of anything about the systems linking system.
I looked at the frequency/repeater listing from 2019. It looks to me, based on repeater assignments on the rest of the Forest, that the two new West net repeaters, Whiskey(old South Maeur Mtn link), and Selway Peak would be assigned tones of 123.0,146.2,156.7 or 167.9

I don't have my notebook and BDF repeater map with me. I seem to remember that if you look at the north-south order of tone assignments, the tone used (numbered using the NIFC standard) you can guess what tone Selway would be on. I think the Whisky UHF linked remote base (hub) does not have direct/simplex capability, but I don't remember all that well. It seems to me there was one more change, but my increasingly lousy memory might be at work.

I don't recall where I got the BDF's repeater map. It's neat that they label the repeater sites that have a UHF interface (remote bases).

Status
Not open for further replies.