• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

becomming a dispatcher

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingwolf

They are not real dispatchers in the traditional sense.

But they are dispacters in that they dispatch news to subscribers of the network.

Yes it is for real, no it is not going to work for a county dispatch.

Get over it Ray.

safetyobc

scanman9 said:
i got a email the other day asking me to be a dispatcher for incident news alerts. just wondering what all of your opinions would be. is this for real.
I did it for a while but found it very time consuming. However, I personally know a guy that built up his points and got a BCD296D (took him a couple years). They have the BCD396T now I think as one of the rewards.

They "pay" you with points you can redeem for scanners, weather radios, IPN pagers, etc. It is okay if you wanna take the time to do it. I got kicked off for lack of posting information.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
And then there is a true dispatcher.....A telecommunicator.
Which key requirements are that you can pass can a criminal backgrond check,
and be able to type at 60wpm......Try this!
73,s!

flyingwolf

I'm a telecommuter? Does that make a difference.

I type at about 110 WPM, 80 with no errors.

Of course that comes from typing into commercial message boards and help desks all day while dealing with irate and sometimes suicidal callers on the phone.

Go-24

flyingwolf said:
I'm a telecommuter? Does that make a difference.

I type at about 110 WPM, 80 with no errors.

Of course that comes from typing into commercial message boards and help desks all day while dealing with irate and sometimes suicidal callers on the phone.
So you type at about 72%. I type about 60 WPM at 100% - I thought I was faster than that, guess I was wrong!

How about you? http://www.typingtest.com/test/default.asp

n4voxgill said:
these are not dispatchers. they don't dispatch anyone. they are "tellers", they just tell other people what they heard.
I call them reporters. Doesn't matter if the medium is newspaper, television, radio, Internet, pagers, or whatever.

Dispatchers are responsible for allocating resources in response to an event.

BTW, FWIW... 75wpm 100%.

kc0jar said:
Go play outside or something!
Y'know... jar has a point there... 99wpm is pretty scary for a youngster like yourself, Ray... I wonder what that translates to when you're my age (mid 30's). :)

flyingwolf

Wanted to comment on what I meant with my 1337 typing skills (OMFG I actually used leet speak for the first time in my life).

I type at 110 with a few mistakes.

80 with no mistakes.

But then again I do nit for 8 to 15 hour a day so it is becoming second nature, but it is time to buy a new keyboard, My currently one has no more letters on half of the keys and my friends can use it because they cannot touch type.

andrew_m

Premium Subscriber
When I took my test I did 66wpm with no errors, some of the dispatchers can type so fast it's scary.

mciupa

DB Administrator
scanman9 said:
i got a email the other day asking me to be a dispatcher for incident news alerts. just wondering what all of your opinions would be. is this for real.
I think this would suit a person with physical challenges who may not be mobile. They could devote tremendous amount of time because of their limitations and perhaps enjoy being part of this community.

Otherwise , get outside and enjoy life.

joetnymedic

I dispatch for one of the pager services out there (1st responder wireless news) whether this is a true dispatch job - no it's not a job at all. I worked as a medic and emt for a good number of years, both on the paid side and the volunteer side. In 2002 due to contracting a disease on the job and having to fight for benefits (that's a whole nother story) I could no longer do EMS and was forced to leave the one job I had in my life that I truely loved. I miss that job like none of you would believe. Listening to my scanner and buffing, keeps me in touch with something I love. !st responder does have some media however, alot of those with pagers are public safety present and past who want to know whats going on. I will say this, 1st responder is one of the most acurate systems out there and put info out there in a very responsible way as there are some restrictions that make sure certain information doesn't make it out there. Hence not putting anyone in danger. To date, I get what I've asked for and I give info responsibly. People do this for their own reason and this is mine. BTW-I did dispatch for a private in NY before leaving and if all dispatch jobs were this easy, I'd go back to work in a heartbeat. Anyways this all being said - that's it.
Joe

R

Rayjk110

Well, I'm 17, so I guess not thaaaat young.

I've done dispatching for the security company I work for in the recent past and will be starting up soon, so most if it I picked up from there, and most when I was a computer technician at my HighSchool this summer and last. Being around a keyboard alot I just kinda picked it up I guess.

dangitdoug

OH YEAYA, weelll eye tipe 5000 wurds pur mint with won byg erer, sew take thet!!!
ANDDD eye em onli forti sumpin"

Status
Not open for further replies.