Been away a long time from here. What's new?

mortoma61

Hi all,
Been away from this here forum and also been away from using my SDS200 scanner for maybe a year!! I have found out that if you don't use your SDS200 scanner, Sentinel software or the Butel ARC536PRO software for a long while, you basically have to relearn the entire shebang!! And it ain't easy!!!

Okay, what I have done this evening is to update the firmware for the Uniden SDS200 and then downloaded the most recent nationwide database too. Then I created a new Favorites list with a more up to date UCAN and other stuff. I have tried to update the firmware every now and then but this is the first one I've seen since I got this radio new about 2017 or so. Anyone know much about what's new in this firmware?

I have a big question for any of you SDS scanner users! Why are all my display changes now gone? I had my display colors all nice and pretty and also had what to show and not to show. Now it's gone back to basic orange display colors and shows defaults as to what or what not to show. I was not happy with that at all. But oh, well.
Was it the firmware update that did that? I believe I had used my Butel ARCPRO software to do all of those display changes and I recall spending a lot of time with that.

Now, since it was a year or so ago when I logged in this forum, I remember talk about how Utah was about to spend a lot of money on a newer trunking system. Has this started yet? I'm scanning right now my latest from the nationwide update with Utah area (mostly UCAN trunking of course) but I'm not noticing a big difference. I think it's the whole state system so I'll probably trim it down a bit as it's scanning though gazillions of things. Nice to try and get back into this, despite the enormous complexities of the radio and the software and also nice to stop just using my expensive radio for more than a dust collector.

Premium Subscriber
I cant speak to your settings being changed ... but if you poke around within the Utah Forum here... you may find a few answers to the ongoing shift to the new system.

mortoma61

I cant speak to your settings being changed ... but if you poke around within the Utah Forum here... you may find a few answers to the ongoing shift to the new system.
The settings turned out to be no big deal as it was just color schemes for the display for both simple and detailed Trunk systems. It was Sentinel software I used for it and I now have it really nice looking. And it's easily changed and downloaded.

mortoma61

I quickly relearned to watch all of the system sites and then eliminate most of them. If you don't it's scanning through trunk site frequencies for the entire state of Utah! Most of which are far out of range of my Saratoga Springs home. So it really drops the scan time all the way through your list of things. I now have it down to just a few, Mostly Lake IR, Willow Peak and a couple Simulcasts. If this were a mobile unit I'd likely leave most of them but it's a home unit only. Out of over a hundred sites, I'm down to just a few, super fast scanning now and don't miss as much.

mortoma61

Too bad the logging feature of the Butel ARC536PRO software does not allow for logging the transmitter sites. That would be very helpful since you could log for a few days and see only the sites in range of your radio, instead of watching the display like I do now. It allows you to log just about anything but that! Weird!