Been reading all this programing for pro 164

Status
Not open for further replies.

muskie999

I haven't recieved my 164, but everything I read seems like I will ahve some major problems and decisions. I assume I will need a cable to download from my computer. I see there a lot of talk about software. I hear abut scanlite, ar300, win97. what the heck do I need more than one? which is easiest for an old timer like me. I've been using a old pro 97, prior to computerfrequenct loading. I almost feel I'm over my head in this now. Where do you get this software, and is RS the only place to get the cable I would prefer a download rather that disc. HELP. where do I start with this. The more I read in this forum the more confused I get.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference.com!!!

I haven't recieved my 164, but everything I read seems like I will ahve some major problems and decisions. I assume I will need a cable to download from my computer.
Yes you will need the USB version cable either from Radio Shack (20-047) or GRE.

I see there a lot of talk about software. I hear abut scanlite, ar300, win97. what the heck do I need more than one?
You only need one to program the scanner. Avoid ScanCat(Lite) as it will give you more grief than you care to know about. I use WIN97 which works with my PRO-97 and PSR-300 (the PSR-300 is the same scanner as the PRO-164), but there are lots of people that like ARC300.

which is easiest for an old timer like me. I've been using a old pro 97, prior to computer frequenct loading. I almost feel I'm over my head in this now. Where do you get this software,
You can get WIN97 here, or check the Wiki for all the options.

and is RS the only place to get the cable I would prefer a download rather that disc.
Hmmmm ... cable, you can not download that!!! Here's one place to get the cable.

To "download" frequencies/etc, rather than type them in, you can use the "import" feature of programs like WIN97, but you'll also need to be a paid RR member.

Where do I start with this. The more I read in this forum the more confused I get.
Don't try and learn everything at once. It is overwhelming. You've already made a good start; you're here and asking questions. Read the scanner's owner manual. Read the online versions too. You'll need to understand how to operate the scanner, and some of its basics, to be able to program it to do what you want.

Good luck!

muskie999

Thanks, for the info, I just hope I can put it to use.I don't mind paying for software etc, but I do want tech support,. Why does it seem that people are buying 2 sets of software?? I suppose you will hear from me soon when I am buried in lingo and factoids I don't understand. I mostly do weather spotting and monitor local police and fire. Everything around me except for Madison Wi is still analog, I don't have a clue about trunking. Guess I'll figure it out with all you fine folks helping . Thanks.

enigma-2

Premium Subscriber
Hi gmcalm.
Like muskie999, I'm also an old-timer scanner enthusiast (dare I admit it - I'm still using a Regency R4030, had it here on my office desk for years, and years, and years.... from the 1980's). Anyway, I decided to upgrade as the display is turning black in spots, getting hard to read all the details, so after a short time of research, bought the Pro-164 (should get it in a few days).

I have many of the same problems with the new scammers, same questions; which you answered so well. I just wanted to write and thank you, very helpful.

In your response, you wrote that you can "download" frequencies/etc, rather than type them in". Does this mean that only the particular frequencies for my area are downloaded? Will I get the proper frequencies for trunking? (Trunking really confuses me.)

kvieira

Hi Muskie999

I got my pro-164 2 weeks ago.. Programming was not to bad once you have the usb cable in and you know what comm port the cable is assigned to. I tried both win97 and ARC300.. both software will allow you to use it fully for free for 30 days.. so give them both a try. I found that the ARC300 worked best for me.. easier to understand and it did a better job of getting the data from radioreference.com for my county. Win97 did not find all the item in the conventional freqs. But remember you will need to cable installed and the comm port for it for both of those softwares to work.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I don't mind paying for software etc, but I do want tech support
Among my many talents, I am a product design engineer and programmer. Guys like me make anywhere from $50 to $150 per hour, give or take. When you consider the amount of time, effort and cost that goes into one of these programs; they are a steal at $25 or $30. No one can afford tech support for that price. Also consider that many people that use scanners are "techies" and don't need such support. For everyone else, there are web sites like this one to help you out.

Why does it seem that people are buying 2 sets of software??
I am not sure what gives you that opinion. I personally have programs for each different scanner out there. Not only do I own a lot of different models, which each require a different program; but I also program for other people.

I don't have a clue about trunking.
I compare trunking to the old PBX phone systems. You might have 100 users with 10 outside phone lines. No more than 10 are on the phone at once. In the case of trunking, a computer manages the frequencies. Read more here.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I'm also an old-timer scanner enthusiast (dare I admit it - I'm still using a Regency R4030, had it here on my office desk for years, and years, and years.... from the 1980's).
Take a good look at my tagline. I am still running a PRO-10 and PRO-77, circa 1975. Of course, mine are not stock.

In your response, you wrote that you can "download" frequencies/etc, rather than type them in". Does this mean that only the particular frequencies for my area are downloaded?
I don't use this feature myself, but have gone through the process of how it works with WIN97 just for my education. It is called "import" in WIN97. You go through a process of selecting what you want to hear. The technology determines what needs to be downloaded and ultimately programmed in your scanner.

Will I get the proper frequencies for trunking? (Trunking really confuses me.)
Yes. Read more about trunking here. I find programming most trunking systems to be easier than conventional channels. In the old days you have a frequency, and optionally a CT or DC value, for each channel. With trunking you enter a "set" of frequencies that are used for many many channels, called talkgroups (TGs). There are some subtle differences in exactly what is programmed depending on the scanner you are programming, and the type of trunked system you are programming (Motorola, EDACS or LTR).

The systems in my area are Motorola. My scanners only need 4 frequencies maximum for each system. Once the scanner has those frequencies, it can receive perhaps 100s of channels. If you run the bank of your PRO-164 in OPEN mode, you'll hear all channels on that system. If you only want to hear specific TGs, then you program those TGs in and set the bank to CLOSED. And doing the programming with software like WIN97, makes it very easy.

N1BHH

It's always best to learn how to program the scanner on the fly. You'll never know when you'll be in a new city and want to listen to whatever is there. I use Win97 for my 2055 and 164 and also have the ARC300 but Win97 is much better in my mind.

muskie999

Well sure appreciate all this help. I will probably ned more when everything arrives. Is there a more inexpensive place to get a ubc cable for download othrer than RS? I think they want 35.00

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
20-047 USB cable

Radio Shack had the cables on sale recently for just under $20. You might check the want ads for new or used. I remember buying mine when the regular price was $16.95.

muskie999

I looked yesterday at the RS in Evansville Wi where I live and they want 34.95. I'll keep looking i know there is some descrepencies about compatibilty of those cables to certains models. Thanks just the same, you are for sure the answer man!

maynardw8

I ordered the RS Pro 163 two weeks ago and while waiting, searched high and low for the 20-047 cable. None to be had cheaper than $34.95 at RS.( Ebay had a few at that price and higher).
I ended up purchasing one from my local RS dealer. He then told me that he would program my RS Pro 163 with our county and three other adjoining counties for free. Great scanner. The cable will also work on the RS Pro 106, that I purchased yesterday. (nice price drop, RS intenet coupon and taxes =< $399.00 )

Status
Not open for further replies.