Been reading all this programong for pro 164

Status
Not open for further replies.

muskie999

I haven't recieved my 164, but everything I read seems like I will ahve some major problems and decisions. I assume I will need a cable to download from my computer. I see there a lot of talk about software. I hear abut scanlite, ar300, win97. what the heck do I need more than one? which is easiest for an old timer like me. I've been using a old pro 97, prior to computerfrequenct loading. I almost feel I'm over my head in this now. Where do you get this software, and is RS the only place to get the cable I would prefer a download rather that disc. HELP. where do I start with this. The more I read in this forum the more confused I get.

kcoleman

I haven't received my 164, but everything I read seems like I will have some major problems and decisions. I assume I will need a cable to download from my computer. I see there a lot of talk about software. I hear abut scanlite, ar300, win97. what the heck do I need more than one? which is easiest for an old timer like me. I've been using a old pro 97, prior to computerfrequenct loading. I almost feel I'm over my head in this now. Where do you get this software, and is RS the only place to get the cable I would prefer a download rather that disc. HELP. where do I start with this. The more I read in this forum the more confused I get.

Hi muskie and welcome to RadioReference....

If you have been using the Pro-97, then the Pro-164 will be a very easy transition. If I'm not mistaken the 164 is the next generation of the 97. As for the software you can get Win97 from www.starrsoft.com and you will be able to program both scanners with one piece of software.

You can buy the cable directly from GRE @ GRE America, Inc. - grecom scanner receiver, lcd modules, spread spectrum radio, wireless bridge, scanner antenna, scanner pre-amps. if you don't won't do get it from RS.

Hope this helps....
Keith

RWS23499

Muskie,
I have the PRO 163 which uses the same software. I am an old guy too and had some problems getting my scanner to work. With some great help from people on this site, I got it working.
I bought the RS cable on sale at RS. I dowloaded ARC300 and in 10 minutes I had my scanner working perfectly. I couldn't figure out WIN97. Too complicated for me. I am not very good on computers. ARC 300 is very easy.

RWS23499

Muskie,
I dowloaded Arc300 on a link from this site, or you can go to BUTEL.com . That is the company that makes it. Real good software.

Status
Not open for further replies.