been thinking of giving up swl cb and mW and move over here

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfflunki

Well,I've been dabling in adsb and now I want to scan I have all the artcc freqs and local , just one thing I've been doing research and I can't decide on a portable I have around 200$ and a ws1025 that might work.
Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Why spend that much when a little RTL-SDR-type stick and the right software will do the job for you?

You can use the link below to search the RTL-SDR blog for all articles on this topic...

You searched for ADSB - rtl-sdr.com

You will, of course, need a L band antenna but the good news is that there's several models out there, and maybe even a few you can hombrew

Mike

invergordon

@Dan

If you want to go mobile and listen to VHF airband then you'll need a portable. If you want the best then a secondhand Yupiteru VT 125 or 225 would bring best bang for buck or alternatively a Yupiteru 7100. Any of the Bearcat or Whistler branded scanners would do the job and a lot depends on whether you want alpha tagging (displays the station name as well as the frequency), many of the cheaper ones don't. Also if you're using the scanner at home, do you have an external antenna, you may not receive some stations if not.

hfflunki

Thanks guys I'm looking at a semi mobile base
So I kept the 1025 and bought a mag mount made for
Civ air .you can't have scanners in cars or public in mi its illegal ,and the police are strict.as to why not use RTL SDR I've gone iOS and don't own my own computer so I use plane tracking apps

Status
Not open for further replies.