Beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

StinkyB

I have noticed today that LMPD Urban F-3(460.3750), and LMPD Suburban F-5(155.0700) have a constant beep all day long, like the tones they use to clear the channel for emergency traffic only Ex: during a hold-up alarm, shooting, ect.. Just wondering what was up.

wx4svr

I was about to post asking the same thing. I have no idea. :( I put them on a temp lock out.

BigEd1314

Premium Subscriber
I dont know exactly what the beeps sounded like, but some repeaters, when they go to back-up power will beep while the repeater is up. Maybe that will help ya'll.

-Ed

wx4svr

I dont know exactly what the beeps sounded like, but some repeaters, when they go to back-up power will beep while the repeater is up. Maybe that will help ya'll.

-Ed

The "beeps" we heard were the alert tones. Never heard what caused them either.

benjaminfs733

Channel markers perhaps? Some systems can have a beep or other tone every so often to identify when a channel is being held for exclusive use.

wx4svr

Channel markers perhaps? Some systems can have a beep or other tone every so often to identify when a channel is being held for exclusive use.

No.. it wasn't an auto-identifier... it was actually the "alert tone." Like if they were responding to a shooting or something.

wx4svr

wx4svr is right a constant stream of beeps.

I found out what it was... they were working on the system and "locked" those channels out so they could make sure that officers calls wouldn't go unanswered... if that makes sense.

For example: They were working on the system (not sure why) and they unhooked something that wouldn't allow the officer's 10-30 (police emergency) call to go through. Therefore, they locked the channels and moved all traffic to another channel so no matter what, any emergency traffic would go through.

StinkyB

Makes complete sense!!!! THANKS!!!! Mystery Solved! They would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling kids!!!LOL

KI4HAM

I found out what it was... they were working on the system and "locked" those channels out so they could make sure that officers calls wouldn't go unanswered... if that makes sense.

For example: They were working on the system (not sure why) and they unhooked something that wouldn't allow the officer's 10-30 (police emergency) call to go through. Therefore, they locked the channels and moved all traffic to another channel so no matter what, any emergency traffic would go through.

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard...not to mention untrue!

jerk

That is the craziest thing I have ever heard...not to mention untrue!

Why would you say, sounds reasonable to me, the explanation might not be 100% clear... but lets say the console is disconnected at dispatch, but the repeater works fine... the beeps would tell anybody switching to that channel it is out of service and to use CH 2 instead. I'm sure all users were notified, but sometimes you forget and this is simple way to insure safety.

But if you have the "explanation" let's hear it.

wx4svr

Why would you say, sounds reasonable to me, the explanation might not be 100% clear... but lets say the console is disconnected at dispatch, but the repeater works fine... the beeps would tell anybody switching to that channel it is out of service and to use CH 2 instead. I'm sure all users were notified, but sometimes you forget and this is simple way to insure safety.

I'm only reporting as I hear it. That is what I was told.

KI4HAM

Let's just say I have an inside connection! There is no reason to do this if a channel goes down the officer's are notified or they figure it out once they try to use the channel and it doesn't work but at no time is there a tone in place to signify an out of service channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.