Before I send SDS200 for repair...

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Other than checking any ribbon cables attached to the display, are there any other suggestions I should try before I send my SDS200 back for repair for a flickering/vertical lines display?

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
Just a hunch. Rig needs 750 milliamps. Basic trouble shooting. Always start at power source and work forward.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Interesting, I’ve got two of them so I’ll give the other a try. Have there been others that have discovered this?

Yes it's a known defect with some SDS200's. Several people have reported it here on RR. It requires the scanner be sent into Uniden for repair. It is not caused by a bad power supply.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Just a complete shot in the dark before you actually return it but you might want to look up Paul's video in the archives on how to install the mitigation device. It's very simple take the radio case off and look at the mitigation device maybe pull it off and reapply it. Make sure it's installed properly and fits well.

Some have theorized that it's pressure from the mitigation device. Probably won't do anything but it's worth fiddling with before losing your radio for an extended amount of time. I believe they just replace the display.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Yes it's a known defect with some SDS200's. Several people have reported it here on RR. It requires the scanner be sent into Uniden for repair. It is not caused by a bad power supply.
Again, Uniden says the display problem is not an issue... wondering what their definition of “issue” is? (I know it’s not the power supply.) I guess it’s off to Unaiden to be repaired. But I am not happy with a previous post that stated an SDS200 was sent back because of a bad display, the display was replaced, the unit returned only to have that display go bad... but not until after the 90 day warrenty ran out, which caused a $80+ repair bill. Uniden is dropping the ball on the display problem. And although it’s not readily admitted, there are a lot of people who bought the SDS100 and SDS200 for that beautiful multi-colored display. It sold a lot of radios!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
From what I have observed it seems the screen issue was more prevalent on early shipments of the SDS200. The problem pops up occasionally on newly purchased units but they could be new-old stock from dealers that didn't move their inventories frequently. But I agree the recent screen replacement with another defective screen from Uniden's service department is very concerning!

Uniden really needs to take responsibility and offer lower cost, if not free repairs along with an extended warranty on the entire SDS line of scanners. Paul would never have put up with the way Uniden is treating their customers. Uniden are you listening? Your customers are watching, waiting! :mad:

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Again, Uniden says the display problem is not an issue... wondering what their definition of “issue” is? (I know it’s not the power supply.) I guess it’s off to Unaiden to be repaired. But I am not happy with a previous post that stated an SDS200 was sent back because of a bad display, the display was replaced, the unit returned only to have that display go bad... but not until after the 90 day warrenty ran out, which caused a $80+ repair bill. Uniden is dropping the ball on the display problem. And although it’s not readily admitted, there are a lot of people who bought the SDS100 and SDS200 for that beautiful multi-colored display. It sold a lot of radios!

Clearly the display problem is an issue. It does seem to be rare but does repeatedly occur however seldom you hear about it. The fact that people have had them replaced only to go bad again led to the theory that it could be the mitigation device putting on too much pressure. But the mitigation device is most successful with the more pressure that can be applied when tightening the case. Some people even bent it a little bit so it would be even more snug.

So after you get the display replaced maybe you can do the permanent hum fix and then you could actually remove the mitigation device as it would not be needed anymore. Food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.