Beginner looking for transiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolt1

Marine radios are generally not reprogrammable. They work on the marine channels, and ONLY the marine channels.

Oh... and it's spelled 'transceiver'.

Sorry for my spelling errors.

?

Are you an authorized user?

yes i am authorized.

also, what i meant was i wanted a VHF (or duel band), i already have a UHF

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
From the Kenwood USA web site:
"Kenwood's compact mid-tier display portable line offers enhanced features for the budget conscious volunteer public safety, public service, government, industrial and SMR system user segments."

Now here is THE question, what are you doing or plan on doing with it? Unless you're an authorized user of one or more of the above and fall under the agency's/corporation's blanket license transmitting is strictly verboten. On the other hand they issue radios from the pool for use while on duty to be returned when going off so why do you even own it? Oh it's legal to own, the question is WHY.

Here's another thing, marine radio is NOT CB although unlicensed operation is permitted BUT only on the water, all other operation without special licensing again is verboten. Still it is not CB even if so many yakking it up on pleasure craft channels think it is so the end result is it sounds like CB with all the hoopla and stepping all over each other so a portable will only get lost in the sauce. Being in Long Branch just listen to them on your scanner come Benny season and you'll hear the mess for yourself.

Not to be insulting or anything but all things considered I don't think you're ready for a radio that talks. You may consider reading the CB and Amateur Radio threads here and check out some of the AR web sites and forums becoming a bit familiar first (you don't have to register, just read) and then come back with some far better questions we'll be happy to give far better answers to. Oh, kindly avoid the CB internet sites and forums unless you're prepared for your sensibilities to take a beating. Unfortunately most have become the low places on the internet (like a couple of ham forums I no longer visit) where loonies and "morans" gravitate to thus giving an otherwise good form of communication a terrible black eye.

Just point yourself in the right direction, THEN we can talk.

elk2370bruce

You stated, "i wanted to find a radio that i could use to pickup ems frequencies and also be able to talk back on." Why? Are you an member with that EMS squad? If not, you cannot talk to them and they will not talk to you other than tell you to depart from the frequency. If you are a squad member, then they will provide you with one of their radios as dictated by their needs and policies. Warren is correct. You need to think things out based on some facts and knowledge about how the public safety forces work. Stick with scanning for a while and start hitting the WIKI and the books.

jolt1

i am an EMS member, my squad runs on UHF, i ahve the radio, other are on VHF, i want to talk to them also... i don't really need it but it would be nice so i would like to find one inexpensive.

GrayJeep

Premium Subscriber
i am an EMS member, my squad runs on UHF, i ahve the radio, other are on VHF, i want to talk to them also... i don't really need it but it would be nice so i would like to find one inexpensive.

Sounds reasonable enough. Your initial posting didn't give us much to use in the way of separating the legit user from the potential jammer.

I strongly recommend you talk to whoever supports your squad's radio system. They are probably a radio geek already and know what would have to be done for your radio to be made compatible with the system.
Asking a bunch of random people out in the world isn't going to get your radio setup right and is likely to frustrate you.

Good luck!

ampulman

Authorized transmissions: Dispatch to units; units to dispatch. Other possibilities: units to hospital; units to police.

Based on my own listening, and posts I have read here, I believe that if you are NOT on duty, a transmission by you would not be welcomed.

What type of unit are you assigned to?

Amp

RadioDaze

...my squad runs on UHF, i have the radio, others are on VHF, i want to talk to them also... i don't really need it...

I think you said it best: you really don't need it. You want to talk to people on other squads... somehow I don't think that will be well "received" (pun intended.)

(Jeez, the things I say for Warren's amusement...)

JoeyC

I want to talk, and I need to talk are worlds apart. If you need to talk, the others will provide you with a radio.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

IF you are a legit user,then talk to your chief or trauma director. They should be able to help you.
n9zas

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Well, this is the same guy who posted THIS thread in the
general scanning forum. Interesting 1st few questions indeed.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.