Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

teeth4u2floss

My hubby loves to listen to police and fire. So for x-mas I purchased the RadioShack PRO-163 Scanner. We live in Kankakee county & Iroquois County. Did I make the right purchase? I don't know very much about scanners. The only thing I know is that there are digital and non digital. What is the listening difference? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Please e-mail me at teeth4u2floss@yahoo.com thank you.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
You will hear both county's fine but will NOT hear the ILL State Police Starcom Digital System....

teeth4u2floss

Did I buy the wrong radio?

So is there a radio other than the Radio Shack pro-163 that I should go get? I know the radio has to be able to get 800? Not sure what that means sorry for my ignorance not my hobby,

teeth4u2floss

Thank you

I just wanted to say thank you. The RS Pro-163 is working just superb! I am no computer wizzz but this was way easy to program and set up. There are just some things I don't understand ie talk groups but I have all those programmed. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Thank you again Teeth

KC9ICE

I just wanted to say thank you. The RS Pro-163 is working just superb! I am no computer wizzz but this was way easy to program and set up. There are just some things I don't understand ie talk groups but I have all those programmed. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Thank you again Teeth

Talk groups are how multiple agencies are kept separate when using the same trunked radio system. If you look in the database section of RadioReference it should give you the number code for the different agencies. That way you make sure you only listen to who you want to.

My example is Tazewell county (where I live). There is an EDACS system that has Tazewell county sheriff, Pekin police, Pekin fire, Peoria public works, Peoria Office of Emergency Management, and some various other users. Each user (agency) has a different talkgroup so they don't interfere with each other. This is also handy for the scanner user (like me) who doesn't want to hear all those agencies. I only want to hear Tazewell sheriff (because I live in their jurisdiction) and Peoria OEM (because I'm a member), so those are the only two talkgroups that I have active.

You can program each talkgroup separately and lock out the ones you don't want to hear, but they will be there if you ever do, or I believe your Radio Shack scanner can enter a talkgroup named "Wildcard" and that will monitor all talkgroups on that given system.

I hope this helps. Be-lated Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.