Belka DSP Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrThompson

For the last 25 years a Lowe HF-150 with Kiwa audio mods has been my preferred HF rig for casual band scanning, especially while out on our deck. With all due apologies to John Thorpe it's just been replaced.

A review on the Belka can be found here.

4nradio

Indeed, it's a great receiver in a small package. I've enjoyed it while on walks in the neighborhood, listening to RNZI broadcasts and some ham SSB from across the country. The Belka's audio quality is clean and circuit noise low, making reception very pleasant.

MrThompson

The review mentions issues with birdies and images, anything there?

Mike

Despite our semi-rural location there's a lot of noise. Based on what has been reported birdies are probably part of the picture. Nothing was strong enough to interfere with reception and good copy.

4nradio

I noticed a few birdies without the antenna connected, but nothing significant to interfere with reception during actual use with the whip antenna connected.

13DKA's review is extremely comprehensive, and I agree with his observations and conclusions. It's a shame this little radio hasn't had wider exposure...I think a lot of SWLs and hams would enjoy it.

ka1njl

I'm intrigued by this radio but I'm a little put off by the prospect of sharing my credit card number on their sales site. That concern is exacerbated by the lack of a PayPal option. Has anyone actually bought one from Alex' shop? It may be that I am just being paranoid. There is one on Ebay but the price is $247 and I'm not that intrigued.

MrThompson

The article referenced a second source in Belarus which takes PayPal. This is where I purchased mine. There was a slight delay as they ran out if stock in Belarus. Fortunately they have hooked up with a ham in Illinois with stock to ship US orders. My rig shipped on Saturday and arrived the next Tuesday.

MrThompson

KY6AA. I suspect he is helping with US distribution and may not be involved in actual sales. After looking at it, the other side of the QSL card in the box shows an AMECO AC-1 CW transmitter and www.TheNewAmeco.com. Perhaps there's more going on than I realized?

GB46

KY6AA. I suspect he is helping with US distribution and may not be involved in actual sales. After looking at it, the other side of the QSL card in the box shows an AMECO AC-1 CW transmitter and www.TheNewAmeco.com. Perhaps there's more going on than I realized?
That AC-1 was my first transmitter when I got my novice ticket back in the 60s. It produced key clicks that could be heard on phone lines all over the block.

spywiz

Premium Subscriber
I'm intrigued by this radio but I'm a little put off by the prospect of sharing my credit card number on their sales site. That concern is exacerbated by the lack of a PayPal option. Has anyone actually bought one from Alex' shop? It may be that I am just being paranoid. There is one on Ebay but the price is $247 and I'm not that intrigued.
I bought one directly from Alex on his site. I used Google translate for the site. I paid $116 U.S. with free shipping. No fuss, no worries. My bank flagged the purchase initially and sent me a text message to call them for confirmation. After I called my credit card company the funds were immediately released and Alex had sent me a tracking number by the next morning. Buy from Alex if you want to get this GREAT radio for less than half the price of the other seller. Alex's callsign is EU1ME. His website is belrig.by His tracking (Track and Trace) from Belarus is through BELPOCHTA webservice.belpost.by Alex (EU1ME) is a brilliant guy that makes a brilliant radio.

ka1njl

I want to provide an update. I contacted Kosta a couple of days ago and he promised to send me an invoice, I received that today. It enabled me to pay by PayPal and the radio will ship from Skokie, IL. The cost was a bit more than I anticipated, most likely because of shipping to IL from Belarus, handling charges and some profit for the US distributor but all in all it was acceptable. Now I'm even more anxious to start playing with my new radio.

Thank you to everyone who answered my questions and directed me to Kosta.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Some more on the Belka from SWLing.com

and as is usual with these little radios, sometimes a little front end filtering goes a long way...

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Do you or will you have a US Distributor for this radio? I'm rather nervous about international transactions like this one....Mike

MrThompson

Thanks for all the good words about Belka! Now new version of Belka is available - Belka DX. I would be glad to answer any of your questions about it!

Welcome to the forum Alex!

For ka3jjz, I have purchased two DX's from Alex's Site based on Guy Atkin's experience. They haven't arrived yet but I've been reading Guy's stuff since the print days and Alex's presence here should belay any fear.

EU1ME

Do you or will you have a US Distributor for this radio? I'm rather nervous about international transactions like this one....Mike
Mike, at the moment we do not have US Distributor, but our representative in Bulgaria (Mobimax store) may offer you the opportunity to pay via Paypal and to send the item from the warehouse in the USA.
Unfortunately legislation in our country does not permit use Paypal as a way of payment, this fact obviously hinders our trade a lot, but we have nothing to offer except paying via credit card or wire transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.