Belka DSP Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheP111

Thanks for all the good words about Belka! Now new version of Belka is available - Belka DX. I would be glad to answer any of your questions about it!
Hello, I would like to ask, what is maximum bandwith on IQ output for possible processing signal in soundcard for panadapter or IQ recordings?
Thanks a lot

4nradio

Greetings Alex! Thank you for communicating with BELKA-DX buyers and interested hobbyists here.

Interestingly, I used my PayPal debit card for buying the BELKA-DSP and now the BELKA-DX from your site. Maybe your country's regulations consider PayPal's card as a bank card, and allow it to be used. Not only did the transactions process successfully, I did not have to confirm the purchases through a security inquiry or similar. It was all very smooth and quick.

A question--will you be emailing purchasers when the BELKA-DX speaker accessory/modification is ready for purchase? I'd be happy to write a SWLing Post article about availability if you'd like me to announce it through that site.

EU1ME

Greetings Alex! Thank you for communicating with BELKA-DX buyers and interested hobbyists here.

Interestingly, I used my PayPal debit card for buying the BELKA-DSP and now the BELKA-DX from your site. Maybe your country's regulations consider PayPal's card as a bank card, and allow it to be used. Not only did the transactions process successfully, I did not have to confirm the purchases through a security inquiry or similar. It was all very smooth and quick.

A question--will you be emailing purchasers when the BELKA-DX speaker accessory/modification is ready for purchase? I'd be happy to write a SWLing Post article about availability if you'd like me to announce it through that site.
We will inform all the Belka-DX users that speaker kit is available as soon as it happens. Hope it will be in December. I'd be happy if you write an article to a SWLing Post. If you have such desire, I'll highly appreciate this.

Markb

Premium Subscriber
Well, I just received my Belka-DX today and I am IMPRESSED! I have power lines across my back yard, high voltage transmission lines 2 streets over, and a 60kW AM broadcast station a few miles from my house. This little radio cuts through all of the noise and I am pleasantly surprised. I have only had about an hour to play around with it, but I can receive San Francisco Aero as well as HF-GCS traffic sitting on my sofa. The menu takes a little bit of time to get used to, but not difficult by any means. Of course, this is not a $1,000 HF rig with an LP on a mast, but I can hear stuff on it which is more than I can say for just about any other portable receiver I have owned.
Thank you Alex!!!!

No issues using my card for the purchase. If you are concerned, I think some banks now will give you a one-time virtual card number for purchases. Might be worth investigating.

EU1ME

Hey there. Belka DX with built-in speaker or back cover with a speaker (for those who have already purchased Belka DX) is available now at our store

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We now have a wiki page for this radio, viz.

It's a good start, but can use some fleshing out on how the I/Q output is used; what connections are needed, programs you can use, restrictions (up to192 khz - but what limits this?) and more. There are YouTube searches, but there are many more combinations that I didn't list....Mike

EU1ME

We now have a wiki page for this radio, viz.

It's a good start, but can use some fleshing out on how the I/Q output is used; what connections are needed, programs you can use, restrictions (up to192 khz - but what limits this?) and more. There are YouTube searches, but there are many more combinations that I didn't list....Mike

You may use any stereo shielded cable and such programs as Power SDR, HD SDR and similar programs. We're preparing documentation necessary for using of IQ output. Hope it will be ready soon.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Installing the Belka speaker option, from SWLing.com

Mike

MarkyM

Hi, Alex -

I ordered the Belka DX via your website earlier this month; it was a nice, easy process. Is there an online way to check shipping status?

I ordered one last week. No issues on the website. Chrome translated it well.

I'm really looking forward to this little radio. When I'm in the house and don't want to use headphones, I'm going to feed it into the line input of my CCR3. It should sound great on that big speaker.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
What about the Belka DX and the use of an external antenna? It seems all the write-ups and reviews I've seen have all been with the included mini-whip antenna. I already have my share of portables (Elite Satellit, PL-660, ATS-909X, GP5-SSB) and one lugable (2010).

--
Mike

IU0BMP

The Belka works really well with an external antenna on its BNC connector without overloading and there are videos showing this. In order to achieve maximum performance out of the whip its input impedance is not the typical 50 ohms. So there will be some mismatch when connecting it to a larger antenna but this will be compensated by the added gain provided by the antenna to the point that you will find it convenient to apply a bit of RF gain reduction to reduce the noise.

mbott

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate the reply. This is a tempting piece of kit for someone who really doesn't need something new.

IU0BMP

Appreciate the reply. This is a tempting piece of kit for someone who really doesn't need something new.
Yes, you already have other portable receivers, but this one doesn't look like anything else. It's so small and light that you can carry it in your pocket and then it's an SDR. You would be impressed. I ordered it in February 2020 from belrig.by without any problem.

manticore

Having been an avid SWL since I as a youngster and a licensed ham for the past 27 years or so, I have used receivers from old analog portables to modern amateur receivers & transceivers. My Belka DX has the features I want and the operating characteristics I would expect in a Ham Receiver. There are no gimmicks you do not need. 4 buttons and an encoder with a minimal menu structure that is simple and intuitive. As close to perfect as you could want.

My small collection of receivers consists of:
1) Sony ICF-2010 - A superb receiver that never leaves the house these days. Purchased new in in the late 80's & cannot easily be replaced. Only used in the backyard.
2) CCrane Skywave (the original - no ssb) - Good for FM & Weather Alerts. Bounces between the car console and the house.
3) Tecsun PL-880 - I got a good one. Close in sensitivity to the 2010, has nice selection of bandwidths and great audio. I really like this receiver.
4) Kaito WRX911 - Goes with me everywhere. An analog radio that costs under $20. Not a top performer, but a pocketful of fun for the money.
5) Belka-DX - Latest acquisition. A great receiver. Read the reviews on eHam.net. The most fun you can put in your pocket.

Radios in my shack are:
1) Alinco DX-R8T - A real pleasure to have for my second receiver.
2) Yaesu FT-DX3000 - This is the rig I purchased to have in my retirement & now that I am retired I can tell you, I chose wisely.

I can hear everything on my Belka DX with it's short whip antenna that I can hear on my DX-R8T or my FT-DX3000 on a Chameleon Emcomm II wire antenna. This Belka DX ROCKS!

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
Mine arrived a few days ago. I’m about 200’ ASL and my Belka- DX is deaf on the supplied antenna. The noise floor is pretty high and I can’t hear anything except for a few birdies.

DJ0IP

Are you using your Belka indoors or outdoors?
Indoors I have so much noise that I don't hear much.
Outdoors it's a lot better.
On my outdoor 80m OCFD located about 200 ft. away from the house, this little radio is a fantastic communicatins receiver.

73 - de DJ0IP

Status
Not open for further replies.