Belka DSP Receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
My Belka finally got a workout away from the noise of my home and the city. In the mountains of NM and WOW!!! With no noise, it hears so much more than I am used to. Saw post earlier that Gander Radio on 8891 was being heard in Montana...turned on the Belka and it was a solid copy here. I hold it just right so not to attenuate the signal by touching the antenna and signals come popping out. Guessing once I finally get some wired earbuds it can rest on a table, bench or whatever and I don't have to worry about how its sitting.
I may have to get online and order another as a holiday gift to give it plenty of time to get here.
Has anyone found an external speaker they like to use with the squirrel?

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Mine arrived a few days ago. I’m about 200’ ASL and my Belka- DX is deaf on the supplied antenna. The noise floor is pretty high and I can’t hear anything except for a few birdies.
Is the sensitivity maxxed out? Are you touching the antenna while holding it in your hand? Just a couple of things I had to learn the hard way...I guess it is possible the radio is at fault, but Alex has shipped a lot of them that people are very happy with.

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
Are you using your Belka indoors or outdoors?
Indoors I have so much noise that I don't hear much.
Outdoors it's a lot better.
On my outdoor 80m OCFD located about 200 ft. away from the house, this little radio is a fantastic communicatins receiver.

73 - de DJ0IP

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
Well, that was strange - an empty post. Let's remedy that situation. Mods can delete post #43.

@DJ0IP: yes, I tried it indoors and outdoors. The noise level decreases outdoors to the point where I can hear faint signals but nothing is intelligible. Very deaf.

@mass-man: I'm using earbuds for counterpoise and not touching the antenna. The sensitivity is turned up to max.

I'm also wondering about the sloppy tuning knob. There's quite a bit of rotational play in mine.

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
Sorry that post wasn't much help...I hate to be Capt Obvious, but have you tried the WWV frequencies?

If I go outdoors on my 7th floor balcony then I can hear WWV at 10 MHz but it's very faint. Everything else that I hear is jut birdies, gronks and other garbage. I'm going to see what happens in an entirely different geographical location 100 miles away.

13dka

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here. :)

@WB6WQF: What level indications are you getting when you're not tuned to a station, indoors and outdoors/balcony?

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
If I go outdoors on my 7th floor balcony then I can hear WWV at 10 MHz but it's very faint. Everything else that I hear is jut birdies, gronks and other garbage. I'm going to see what happens in an entirely different geographical location 100 miles away.
While I can copy signals here at the house, as I posted earlier, a move to the mountains, away from man made and other types of noise sure made a difference in what was audible. Good luck at the different QTH!

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster here. :)

@WB6WQF: What level indications are you getting when you're not tuned to a station, indoors and outdoors/balcony?

In the range of about 20-30. In my office on the 15th floor, and by the window, I was able to a weak signal from WWV on 15 MHz. I tried moving it around outside in Sacramento and away from buildings and where all of the electric service is underground. I could, if I was lucky, find WWV on 10 MHz (not 15 MHz), but, no 80, 40 or 20 M ham stations, shortwave or anything else. As I tune through the frequencies, I get a lot of squeals, pops, and other garbage. I can hear a few stations in the broadcast band around 1620 but that's not the idea. The receiver is completely useless indoors (which is what I bought it for) and not much better outdoors.

Unfortunately, I spent money on something that I'm going to toss in the drawer as a reminder to only buy equipment that I can return.

13dka

Hi John,

20-30 microvolts equals around S5-S7 of noise,, the "garbage" you described could just be the typical narrowband manifestations of digital QRM within the omnipresent wideband noise in cities. I personally wouldn't even expect to receive anything but noise in a high-rise, particularly on a whip.

That it receives the noise and WWV generally suggests that it's not dead, and in my personal experience the Belka is even a little better than plastic radios in noisy enviroments (contrary to my own theory that this shouldn't be the case). Have you recently tried another portable in that high-rise, or do you have one to generally compare the Belka with?

I just checked the KiwiSDRs in the Bay Area and - apart from the Half Moon Bay SDR with their massive antennas - they seem to indicate that the noise situation isn't great there and none of them currently (nighttime) receive WWV on 15 MHz. N3KA's SDR on a low-flying 40m dipole in Sunnyvale:

N3KA_Sunnyvale_LowDipole_15MHz_2_sml.jpg

That being said, due to a HSS influence, the conditions are currently a bit disturbed on top and signals are not great, so maybe it's just a typical case of Murphy's radio law: "condx always turn bad while you unbox a new radio"? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.