Bell County Puzzling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday , I did not hear anything when I drove into Bell County. Since I don't know if the system was down or whatever, once I saw the absence of talk groups, I turned the radio off since the system frequency question has yet to be resolved.

So, I am going to use one Favorite with ID search activated with the Bell P25 having two separate sites. Truthfully, I don't really see how this matters using a Uniden 456HP, so I am going back to reviewing previous recordings.

Also, since I have heard Temple PD say, "go to channel 3", this was a car/car talk group. Now that I have fixed my video making problem, I will try to show the actual hand off on video.

I suppose this makes the chase worth the wait when this system is final resolution. However, I don't understand why the DB was not updated to show the 19 frequencies.

We have different methods of obtaining talk groups. Yes, there are some possibly misidentified talk groups from the 50/5 plus conversion, however, based on my experience, the converted talk groups happened to match the previously identified EDACS talk groups in many cases.

For instance, the Killeen OCU converted P25 talk group was consistent with the alpha tag since KPD was watching the activities of a prison gang in the area. Again, I prefer hearing the dispatch or officer actually stating which talk group is being used.

When discrepancies occur, it is time for me to get out my documentation sheets and compare. Now, I am going to focus on TPD channel 3 and others. Today, I have nothing but time on my hands.

I can open up the files in the computer with the radio attached and break folders down to see when various channels are being used. I will post my findings.

I might add I stuck with Woodway P25 with their atypical setup using marine band frequencies. Eventually, I figured it out. But, I was using my PSR 500.

I just submitted an update to the DB admin this morning. Apparently Bell County EDACS and P25 were combined in all 19 logical channels. The EDACS side I did not get a decode and I manually plugged in the frequency that was used by the P25 system that the EDACS control channel was on. It is also vise versus for the P25. I asked the DB admin to roll back both systems to the old 19 channel LCN order. I think now all 19 LCN's will be used by both systems and the control channel data will determine which logical channels to use for their respected systems.

Last edited:

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
That is why I employ some of my old trunk tracking scanners to compare the traffic between the EDACS system and the P25. I usually confirm what groups are active on both.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I recorded a considerable amount of talk groups during August of 2019. I removed my audio files from my 456HP, edited out the crap, and loaded all back into my radio to eventually review the recordings from Bell County. There are some interesting talk groups that warrant further investigation. Although it has taken hours to accomplish this task, I am ready for the pedal to hit the metal.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Now that I have demonstrated the shift from Temple Dispatch to Tac 1, I am going to find recordings to support the last unknown talk group which I have recorded as C/C, channel 3, talk group 51194. I recall having quite a few recordings involving statements such as "go to channel 3."

It will take some time to find the right one, but I will find it come Hell or high water.

My hat goes off to the fellow that used to help identify these talk groups. He was one of the ones who first stood by his findings associated with the "5 or 50" method of EDACS to P25 conversion.

Here is a challenge. How many of the the converted EDACS "5 or 50" plus talk groups actually turned out to be accurate on P25. I wonder what the measure would show?

Onward Through the Fog.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
First, here is the PV talk group from TPD. In the 09-052, you will hear them referring to being on C/C. When I converted it by adding 5 (used most of the time when talk group is PV). When you convert this to decimal format it equals to 1194. Now, I will go and find 51194. Here is the PV video: https://youtu.be/IowvWwQXRg0

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I have seen the shifts with other departments. Also, I have seen the dispatch radio ID change too not the talk group.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I finally found Temple PD Dispatch P25 telling an officer to go to C/C, channel 3. Now, I am going to go through my massive collection of recorded audio that I don't remember saving from my scanner. If this does not satisfy the "5 or 50" method working I don't know how to demonstrate such. It is right there for all to see. There is a benefit to being a bit OCD, LOL.

Again, if we were to take all of the positively identified EDACS alpha tags with their associated talk groups, we could measure the percentage of successfully identified P25 talk groups. I would entertain a different method of determining the efficacy of this method if anyone wants to chime in here. We can put it to the test to see. Again, I have tons of alpha tags I can find among the computer files. If there is a high percentage of successful transformations, then it might lend some credence to this method for this specific system.

Beyond a shot in the dark, I have no other understanding how in the name of God this actually works. I don't know about other EDACS system transfer because I have never experienced said transition.

To me, this is an odd duck. I am not going to refer to the duck as a rooster, asking him to crow. I am just going to listen to him quack to see if I can understand what he is trying to say. I know, I am insane. Oh sweet Jesus I am having fun looking these talk groups up. I have a gold mine.

I guess time could be saved if someone want to help divide these files to hear the wonderful recordings I obtained, particularly when TPD was unaware that PV had been added to Uniden scanners. Back then, they were singing like birds.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday, I talked to a Belton Firefighter. I asked him if their digital system was working and he indicated the "CAD crashed after an update." He indicated that the system is still behind regarding certain messages sent, affected MDT function, etc. He said it was a big mess.

He indicated they were still using digital. I also talked to someone with another radio setup and they informed me they were indeed hearing all digital.

Now, I don't understand because I did not hear any P25 activity yesterday. I might add I have never ever experienced situations where my 4 inch 800 Laird Antenna has failed to pick up a digital transmission, even inside a house. Typically, Bell P25 knocks me out of the house. When I attach the radio to my mobile antenna it gets even better. I believe the person who heard radio traffic was using a SDS 100.

So, I don't know if any other person using a PSR 500 or other scanner other than an SDS 100, SDS 200 or G5.

I may need to re-purchase the 2.5 gain rubber antenna I love so much and also despise for its flimsy design.

Perplexed here.

Last edited:

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday, during the afternoon, I heard traffic from a Favorite I made using the two sites system using ID search. Initially, I thought I was only hearing talk groups from this Favorite, but on further examination of my recordings, I was hearing talk groups from the Favorite using the 19 frequencies. I believe there was more traffic coming in on the ID search Favorite. So, I am going to change the frequencies back to two sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.