Bell County Puzzling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Strike out. I went to Bell County this afternoon and used the zip code method of listening. Since the DB was updated after last Monday, the new system frequencies associated with the remaining EDACS system frequencies was not there when the DB loaded.

I am lazy. I did not want to re-program the radio since it will likely be updated tomorrow. Hopefully, I can download it Monday or Tuesday and check out that mysterious 70.

I use the ID mode on my 436HP. I am seeing the 70 on the very bottom line of the display window.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I don't know the answer, that's why I asked (I don't play psychological mind games like that ;) ).

I am highly embarrassed, but this one is rather funny. Yes, I can poke fun at myself.

Instead of programming Bell EDACS, I opted for the zip code method on Sunday. I did not see the "70" at the bottom of the screen.

So, yesterday, I decided to program the new system frequencies for Bell EDACS. I was driving down the road In Bell County and noticed "69" where I saw "70."

Then the idiot light went on. I was looking at the tag line. Hence, the "69" corresponded with the Favorite I'd constructed for Bell County.

So, have a laugh on me. LOL.

motorola_otaku

Premium Subscriber
We have been trying and trying to get into the P25 truck. I know Russel and Ensared have been in alot of threads about this. I think other posters sort of gave up on the idea of trying to capture P25 frequencies. TFD and KPD have finally stopped transmitting on the Analog EDACS.
There's no real mystery or challenge to monitoring the P25 system. Plug all of the known frequencies into a P25 system as control channels and put a "50" in front of the EDACS decimal ID for the talkgroups. That's really all there is to it.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
There's no real mystery or challenge to monitoring the P25 system. Plug all of the known frequencies into a P25 system as control channels and put a "50" in front of the EDACS decimal ID for the talkgroups. That's really all there is to it.

Yes, I have loaded all of the new system frequencies on the Bell P25 system.

Today, I heard nothing on the system until later in the day. As I was headed north on IH35, I was hearing Killeen PD coming in loud and clear. I was around Bruceville-Eddy.

Since I have followed new system installations like Waco HOTRRS and the former Woodway trunking system, I know they can change the CC and AC without notice. When I put my 436HP on analyze, all three measures showed nothing.

I expect more changes to occur, but I think they are using EDACS as a fall-back position.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
The EDACS I assume is still the primary system and simulcast to the P25 system is set up right now. because the P25 radios are extremely expensive I don't see a total migration for a few years and I think that we may only see Law Enforcement and maybe fire and rescue on the P25.
I have a scanner set up running the EDACS with certain talk groups enabled. Meanwhile, on my computer I have unitrunker running on the P25 and I am watching the activity and listening at the same time.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I have been mapping the P25 system for a week now.

God bless you for doing this. When I am monitoring, I am generally at work. I don't know which one it was, but I noticed a Phase II Killeen talk group. I will try to help you identify these. Now that the system frequencies are correct, it will be easier to monitor. I have already made the 50+ conversions to most of the EDACS talk groups; however, I have not heard them key up and identify themselves yet. I will be more diligent.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
The EDACS I assume is still the primary system and simulcast to the P25 system is set up right now. because the P25 radios are extremely expensive I don't see a total migration for a few years and I think that we may only see Law Enforcement and maybe fire and rescue on the P25.
I have a scanner set up running the EDACS with certain talk groups enabled. Meanwhile, on my computer I have unitrunker running on the P25 and I am watching the activity and listening at the same time.

Yes, I don't have my trusty PSR 500 working at present. The BNC has traveled south. In time, I will get it repaired. Are you using SDR on Unitrunker. I don't know how that works.

I converted many of the PV talk groups to various P25 talk groups. Most of these were tactical channels involving surveillance. When and if I find these, I will likely submit them as Tactical in nature, depending on the circumstances.

Again, thanks for bringing new life to this long process.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I am using two RTL-SDR's with the latest version of Unitrunker. I was able to download the basic information from Radioreference.com and started to edit the talk groups. Look at the database, the EDACS system is using the first 10 logical channels (Frequencies). The P25 system is using the last 9 channels that is assigned to the county. This really doesn't matter in scanning because the scanner will only use the programmed frequencies that the control channel will tell it to use. Right now I am only worried about Killeen first when is almost done for the police. The fire I am working on right now. Then I plan on finding more of the sheriff's office talk groups. then moving to more of the rest of the cities. It will take a while. I use a pro 163 running on the EDACS system and my wife uses a pro197. What started this all was I decided to reprogram her scanner a few weeks ago and decided to set up the pro 163 for the Killeen Fire dept. Since I experiment a lot with RTL-SDR dongles I ordered up some more and set up a dual dongle set up with Unitrunker. I listen to the P25 system on my computer via Unitrunker and compare the traffic with the EDACS system.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Also, the EDACS system is still the primary, the P25 is simulcasted.

When I initially set this up, using the newly number EDACS system frequencies, I heard no digital talk groups. Back when EDACS was functional, I monitored and documented quite a few PV talk groups. Why aren't they using these?

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
There is a slew of new talk groups on the EDACS and they have hits from 3 to 4 and up to 100 or so. These could be private talk groups. Right now when I use the old 19 channel set up I don't see activity on 9 of the frequencies that the EDACS system used to use. But when Monitoring the P25, I see those frequencies being utilized.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
There is a slew of new talk groups on the EDACS and they have hits from 3 to 4 and up to 100 or so. These could be private talk groups. Right now when I use the old 19 channel set up I don't see activity on 9 of the frequencies that the EDACS system used to use. But when Monitoring the P25, I see those frequencies being utilized.

If there are more talk groups on EDACS, are they ProVoice? I am going to go back and load the PV talk groups I found monitoring Temple Digital. I identified some good ones, but I've not heard these working like they were before the P25 migration began some time ago.

I am going to reprogram EDACS using PV and see.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I am not sure about the pro voice portion mainly because I am focused on my side of Bell County in Killeen and Harker Heights. If I can recall the only users of Pro Voice was Temple.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Yes, Temple was the main PV user; however, I heard some surveillance being conducted in the Salado area on PV some time back. Hence, I believe it might have been a tactical talk group. I loaded up some of the PV groups I had on the EDACS and sure enough I got a hit on Temple Tac 2, PV. I also saw these three letters, "enc", but it was in the clear.

This still puzzles me because this time last year was full of P25 radio traffic. In installations, they might end up switching more frequencies around before they settle on the right scald.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
In the recent past, I have not heard Bell County LE or EMS/Fire in quite some time. I do however hear them on EDACS. Again, I am seeing digital talk groups on scan, but it is an analog transmission.

I am re-loading the system frequencies for this system in case I made a mistake. Also, I am going to see if I can find a control channel among the range of frequencies in case the CC changed or was replaced with another one.

I would appreciate some help.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
The control channel will change from time to time. It will it will be one of the logical channel frequencies assigned to the system. The EDACS control channel changed yesterday. What model scanner are you using? I am using Unitrunker as my following program and I have a PRO163 set up for Killeen Fire Dept and a PRO 197 for the Killeen PD.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
The control channel will change from time to time. It will it will be one of the logical channel frequencies assigned to the system. The EDACS control channel changed yesterday. What model scanner are you using? I am using Unitrunker as my following program and I have a PRO163 set up for Killeen Fire Dept and a PRO 197 for the Killeen PD.

Sorry, I have been away from the computer. I am using a 436HP at present. As previously stated, I might have to pull out my old GRE PSR 500 and see if I can get it fixed. I have the dongle setup, but don't know how to use it yet,

I do not know much about EDACS CC. Did the numbering also changed on EDACS?

So, I was there over the weekend and noticed very little P25 activity. You must be monitoring the P25 with the Pro-197. What are you using the analyze EDACS. I did not think the 197 could analyze EDACS.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
Sorry, I have been away from the computer. I am using a 436HP at present. As previously stated, I might have to pull out my old GRE PSR 500 and see if I can get it fixed. I have the dongle setup, but don't know how to use it yet,

I do not know much about EDACS CC. Did the numbering also changed on EDACS?

So, I was there over the weekend and noticed very little P25 activity. You must be monitoring the P25 with the Pro-197. What are you using the analyze EDACS. I did not think the 197 could analyze EDACS.
My wife uses a PRO197 for the Killeen PD, I use a PRO163 for Killeen FD, Then to monitor Any system that I am capable to listen to I use Unitrunker on my Asus I7 with two NooElec NESDR SMARTee dongles. I have also been experimenting with DSD Plus with my Dongle set up as well. I also have an older dual-core laptop with two RTL-SDR V3 dongles with Unitrunker monitoring Bell County P25 simulcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.