Bell County Puzzling

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I don't know of for sure but I think the P25 simulcast system antennas may not be set at high locations but more antennas at lower locations through out the county. Remember its is a P25 simulcast system so the EDACS would be the primary system and the P25 is used a simulcast.

Ensnared

I drove into Temple around 1030 hours yesterday and Bell P25 was roaring with activity. Before noon, I could not raise they anymore. When this system has been "stabilized" I suppose I can then go better determine which one of the KPD tactical channels is Phase II. If I can, I will go back and load some of my previous recordings from this system. I seriously doubt any of the talk groups have changed since then.

Russell

Texas DB Admin
Database Admin
I don't know of for sure but I think the P25 simulcast system antennas may not be set at high locations but more antennas at lower locations through out the county. Remember its is a P25 simulcast system so the EDACS would be the primary system and the P25 is used a simulcast.

Modern P25 systems, especially simulcast, have their antennas pointed downward and "into" the county (or city) to focus on the coverage area. As opposed to the "old" way where systems just blared their signal as far as it could go. I've seen this in several DFW systems as well. Cities I was able to hear before P25 are tougher to receive outside the designated coverage area but work excellent inside.

Russell

BaLa

Sooo......
436 vs SDS100
On this system..can't even compare.

Seems like the SDS is still missing a good bit but not nearly missing as much as the 436.

Anyone else trying to ID the many Unidentified TGs on this new System..
Seems like most of them are following the format from the old system
50xxx
or 5xxxx

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sooo......
436 vs SDS100
On this system..can't even compare.

Seems like the SDS is still missing a good bit but not nearly missing as much as the 436.

Anyone else trying to ID the many Unidentified TGs on this new System..
Seems like most of them are following the format from the old system
50xxx
or 5xxxx
Try changing the filters used on that system (on the SDS100). I've seen several comments that Invert or Wide Invert has helped on certain systems, but the filters are often more specific to the system and your location. On more that one occasion, I've seen comments about two or more users, monitoring the same system but not at the same location, using different filters to improve reception.

Ensnared

When it is up, my 436HP works reasonably well with an outside antenna. I am using a Laird 4 inch 800 mhz antenna inside the house near Morgan's Point. I have heard transmissions near Waco on this system.

I would much rather have a new DSLR or Mirrorless Camera than fork over the bucks for a SDS 100. If this radio happens to have a special battery, I will never buy one. I will go to the SDS 200.

Thanks for all the work that is being done on this system.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I'm in Killeen and if I can remember there was an EDACS simulcast site about a mile and a half from my house near one of the FD stations. I assume that is why I get get a great signal. Also, I have external antennas

BaLa

Seems to be a small site with 2 Chan mainly in use by SO.

Attachments

• 700bell info.JPG
    700bell info.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 700bell peers.JPG
    700bell peers.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 700bell prop.JPG
    700bell prop.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 700bell.JPG
    700bell.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 16

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I don't get a signal on the North side of Killeen. Under a FCC search three frequencies in the 700 MHz band is Licensed to Bell County and listed as 100 watts. I assume its interop patch and listed on under SO groups since the SO is the highest Law enforcement in the county.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
I don't get a signal on the North side of Killeen. Under a FCC search three frequencies in the 700 MHz band is Licensed to Bell County and listed as 100 watts. I assume its interop patch and listed on under SO groups since the SO is the highest Law enforcement in the county.

They are licensed for 100w station power, but 250w ERP.

BaLa

kd5ga did mention yesterday that he searched the 700s and was unable to find anything.
So Figured I would search as well.

I'm only about 8 miles from that Site.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
What I usually do is fire up HDSDR or SDR Console and set the VFO at the lowest frequency of the band I want to look at and in increments of 1 MHZ I move up and watch the water fall display for activity. Now for the 700 MHz portion my antenna may not be that great.

BaLa

For SDR/Unitrunker I'm using a small antenna that came with it right by the window.

For my Scanners im using a Magmount with a 5/8 Wave 800mhz on a Cookie Sheet also by the Window.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
All of mine are mounted outside on a push up pole mounted on the side of my house. The one I normally use for 800 MHz is a older comet nock off 2 meter 70cm base station antenna. The one that is used on my lap top is actually cut for 800 mhz. If I try the 935 MHz spectrum I have a tough time with ONCOR has bunches of sites in that range.

Status
Not open for further replies.