Bell County Puzzling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Yes, those who have discovered these radio parameters have done an outstanding job! I commend you and thank you from the bottom of my heart. I am OCD to a fault. When they reorganized things, it really blew my mind. God I miss my PSR 500.

Would anyone in Bell County please show me how to work the dongle thingy. I have had the blasted dongles for a long time now.

If shown how to do this, we might be able to coordinate our efforts for various DMR systems in the area from various points in the county. I stumbled across one after upgrading to DMR. I discovered that Belton High was using some DMR system or whatever. I did not know what to do with the colors.

I really don't give a rip about listening to boring school traffic. The cop uses a Bell County radio, not the other smaller Motorolas. I just want to practice analyzing to learn the dongle method.

Better yet, I would actually like to meet folks, face to face. Minneapolis & other places have active meetings with listeners. I do know of a group of Ham/CB blokes that gather on a monthly basis, but I don't want to get derailed into other areas. I would like to specifically concentrate on scanners.

If we organized, we might be able to get a tour of the Bell County radio system. The former director of Bell County Center who used to be a Warden,, introduced me.

Being stupid, I called him a Lieutenant instead of his rank, Captain. Woops. When he first moved here, he was very friendly.

I don't know if the politics in Bell County "turned him out." When I told him who I was after apologizing, he lightened up. I have not played this card yet.

So, if a group of responsible listeners approached him, I don't know what would happen. But, I have nothing to lose.

Again, a round of applause for the hard work!

I attempted to figure out the suspected PV system at the VA in Temple, but someone reported to me that there is not much activity. However, if someone went completely left at the VA, I would love to hear it since they have VA cops.

Ensnared

I just checked my computer and found recordings from 2016 and 2017 showing the talk groups I discovered.

I will have to load these back into my 436HP to see which of these are Phase II. I do know that the ones that are unknown are in these audio files. I did not identify them with an alpha tag until I was sure. I had to hear them say the talk group before I would label such.

So, if anyone has a SDS 100/200 and/or 436/536HP and wants to review these recordings to watch the screen show the icons, I would be happy to forward via email. You can send me a PM for my email address. I am going to load these back into my 436HP to determine if they are PV. Initially, we added 50 to the DEC to obtain the P25 talk groups.

Ensnared

I discovered a recording from Temple Dispatch which stated, "go to Tac 1." I am bored in Sloan, IA, God help me. I have nothing to do. If I really want some action, I can listen to the trains switching tracks. Almost all LE is locked up tight. So, I will get busy reviewing my recordings to help isolate those unknown Bell County talk groups. I hate how my 436HP handles recording files, very tedious work.

Ensnared

I attempted to put this talk group in a video to show that this was what I thought was Phase II. I shot my recording back into my radio and then isolated this TG from 6/15/2018. However, Pinnacle 21 crashed and is getting ready to go to the trash can.

If I am incorrect in the identification of the TG shown in this video, well, crap.

Attachments

• Phase II Temple.jpg
    Phase II Temple.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 20

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I attempted to put this talk group in a video to show that this was what I thought was Phase II. I shot my recording back into my radio and then isolated this TG from 6/15/2018. However, Pinnacle 21 crashed and is getting ready to go to the trash can.

If I am incorrect in the identification of the TG shown in this video, well, crap.
You are correct. The PT0 in the ;ower right corner indicates a Phase II transmission, in Slot 0. PT1 would have indicated the other slot. If it had been just Phase I, you would have seen a P25 instead.

Ensnared

When I return to Texas, I will find and hopefully edit the video showing Temple PD PV Dispatch saying, "go to Tac 1." In the remote past, I submitted the associated TG.

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I noticed a few days ago the Bell County DB was largely updated. Which a lot of these recently submitted talk groups don't work showing zero hits while there is a lot of talk groups with hits unidentified. I would have to say someone had done a direct conversion from the Bell County EDACS one to one to the Bell county P25 DB. There are a lot of talk groups on the EDACS system that is not used as of a very long time so doing a one to one conversion is no accurate. I was doing a comparison where I set up my PRO 163 loaded by cities and the same for DSD Plus or Unitrunker running the P25 system. If I had a hit that I found simulcasting on both the EDACS and P25 then that talk group was confirmed, I noted it and submitted a DB update with my notes. Right now I feel that the Bell County DB is corrupted.

BaLa

It's a bit annoying.

I submitted a smallish update the other day to fix some of TPDs TGs.
51185 is an remains the TPD Dispatch TG.

I guess the other thing is for those with HP/DB Scanners.
Those updates screw everything up.

Attachments

• TPDDispatch.JPG
    TPDDispatch.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 18

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I just submitted an update to the DB admin this morning. Apparently Bell County EDACS and P25 were combined in all 19 logical channels. The EDACS side I did not get a decode and I manually plugged in the frequency that was used by the P25 system that the EDACS control channel was on. It is also vise versus for the P25. I asked the DB admin to roll back both systems to the old 19 channel LCN order. I think now all 19 LCN's will be used by both systems and the control channel data will determine which logical channels to use for their respected systems.

Ensnared

Based on the aforementioned information about the Bell County system, I would appreciate having a listing of the 19 frequencies until the DB is updated.

Ensnared

I found the list from someone who provided me with the list of the Bell P25 system a long time ago. I reprogrammed all P25 trunked system frequencies.

Attachments

• Bell 19.jpg
    Bell 19.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 26

Ensnared

Here is a video showing Temple PD Dispatch PV going to Tac 1. Using the 50 plus method, the P25 Talk Group would equal 51186. Since this started as a PV talk group 1185, you would only add 5 instead of 50. Well, that is how some of the listeners converted this system.

After I converted the EDADS talk group using the 5 or 50 plus method, I successfully logged and monitored various talk groups on Bell P25. I have already submitted several P25 talk groups including the one shown in the video. Since I like to hear the transmission to verify the Talk Group, I have several other outstanding talk groups to verify.

Last edited:

kd5dga

Premium Subscriber
I only pay attention to Killeen and Harker Heights talk groups. I do notice when they call for any talk group above dispatch then I see a lot of P25 Phase II transmissions.

Status
Not open for further replies.