Belleville PD Tactical Channel is it Encrypted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Methos

We had a police response tonight in Belleville, ON and the police switched the conversation to Belleville Tac 3 which the database shows as:

Freq: 140.13000
Type:BM
Label: BELLVPS3 TAC
Mode: FM
Tag: Law Tac

The scanner we have at work is a Uniden BC785D TT III w. APCO P25 card. It went quiet after that point for a while and no more chatter. Can anyone tell me if this channel is encrypted.? i tired directly tuning that station with no luck. Forgive me I'm a newb at this and I planned on getting a similar used scanner, but if this channel is not encrypted, how could I not catch it? If it simply down to the programming then I would like to program it in. Any help would be appreciated.

VE3RADIO

We had a police response tonight in Belleville, ON and the police switched the conversation to Belleville Tac 3 which the database shows as:

Freq: 140.13000
Type:BM
Label: BELLVPS3 TAC
Mode: FM
Tag: Law Tac

The scanner we have at work is a Uniden BC785D TT III w. APCO P25 card. It went quiet after that point for a while and no more chatter. Can anyone tell me if this channel is encrypted.? i tired directly tuning that station with no luck. Forgive me I'm a newb at this and I planned on getting a similar used scanner, but if this channel is not encrypted, how could I not catch it? If it simply down to the programming then I would like to program it in. Any help would be appreciated.

It appears to be listed as FM when I know for a fact Belleville is P25.. most likely they went to Simplex.. that would explain why you heard no voice nor encryption noise.

Methos

So is Simplex not able to be picked up ? Forgive but I'm a true greenhorn at scanning. Can public equipment pick that up?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
That's a CISO channel which is probably used for Belleville's surveillance activities only. They would be able to talk with other agencies such as the OPP working with them.

It could be either analog or digital, encrypted or unencrypted depending on what agencies are involved and what their radios are capable of. It's a simplex channel as denoted by the BM.

Belleville would be assigned one of the regular "local" channels such as 141.5850Mhz for their TAC channel.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
So is Simplex not able to be picked up ? Forgive but I'm a true greenhorn at scanning. Can public equipment pick that up?

Simplex just means they are operating radio to radio... not thru the repeater. So unless you are in the immediate area, you won't hear anything.

Methos

Up by P&G is where I work. Yeah it was the jumper I was asking about around 0230 hrs when they went to TAC 3, it went quiet/

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Chances are that channel is not Tac 3.

You'll have to use the search function on your radio to find the real Tac 3.

IdleMonitor

Premium Subscriber
Throw everything that's listed in the database in your radio so you won't miss anything, this is the place for the most up to date information. I can tell you that the last time I listened to that channel it wasn't ENC but it was P25. I should know, I submitted it to the database that way. As far as the channel name, who knows, I never did hear of any reference to it as a TAC 3 but given what the channel lineup listed is...well it made for a good name.

Perhaps they're on to you now and they've moved to a different channel either that or as explained, you just weren't close enough to listen. When doing a search don't have PL Search on otherwise you won't catch anything. Whether it's P25 or ENC.

Status
Not open for further replies.