Bellevue --v-o-l-u-n-t-e-e-r-- Fire Dept; Help Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

phyrngn

Can o' worms

I don't know if would work in Bellevue, but we've actually looked at starting a live-in program here. And we don't have 1/10th of the call volume that BVFD has...it would be a lot cheaper. I know that the revolving door would be there, as you'd be staffing a lot of the stations with students who wind up getting careers elsewhere, but wouldn't it be a great way to get experience? Live-in programs are HUGE in PA and MD. I know they have their share of problems, but you get the response time without the price.

I know I've said it in another forum (about Plattsmouth), but I have guys that would probably move in to a Station in Bellevue right now if they knew they'd go on 3, 4, or 5 runs a day in exchange for room and board.

The 8 to 5 thing with volunteers covering the evening isn't too bad of an idea, but you'll still run into problems with combination departments. I know that there are some combo departments that make it work, but I'm still kind of an all-or-nothing guy (with the exception of some departments having a paid Chief or Administrator).

I'm told that the fact BVFD is Volunteer has been a source of debate for years. Guess it must've been turned up a notch. Hopefully things are done in the interest of the public.

Of course, the NPFFA will try to make it a response time issue. It's actually a Union issue. And I'm a member of the Union. But I see how cost prohibitive it can be to just magically start your very own fire department...I'm a realist.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Yeah OFD works outside the city limits all of the time.

Many times they'd make a run to find out its not within a few feet of a fire zone but they'd stay on scene and assist with resources or manpower, or help set up the LZ for lifeflight.
At least E23, Truck 256,257 has anyways.

SCPD

QRT
What I am talking about is OFD territory. Yes they will do mutual aid. They will not respond as the primary department, unless the other one is out on a call.

If anyone on here has taken the Douglas County test for dispatcher or call taker the map that was used in the test is the fire map for the county.

nosrednanoraa

KG4WHM said:
What I am talking about is OFD territory. Yes they will do mutual aid. They will not respond as the primary department, unless the other one is out on a call.

If anyone on here has taken the Douglas County test for dispatcher or call taker the map that was used in the test is the fire map for the county.

So what were you trying to say? It's common sense that Omaha wouldn't be the primary responder to areas that aren't Omaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.