• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

belt clip for P7200 ..is there one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrm5265

We were just issued P7200 for use on our new Open Sky system, the box had a metal D thing to slide into back of radio so that it would hang on the belt loop, but we would really rather a spring clip thing, radio may be too heavy for one?

Can anybody on here tell me if Tyco makes a belt clip thing for back of P7200 besides that D swivel thing
we are a narcotics unit and dont need to go around with those leather things to hol radio on our belts (when we ever wear belts LOL

Thanks
Joe

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Yes, you need to obtain the following item:

Belt clip, metal
MAPT-HC7P (CC23894)

This item is almost certainly in stock with your system dealer.

Dealer cost is 15 dollars, it shouldn't sell for more than 30.

Elroy

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
No, not much at all. Except that it would appear that ALL the programming of a subscriber unit (portable
or mobile radio) seems to be done over the air by the central controller. Not even the latest version of
the ProGrammer/RPM software (RPM 3) has any way for me to enter OpenSky data for a radio type that's
OpenSky compatible, like a P7200 or M7200.

I think the entire programming system for OpenSky radios is based on over-the-air reprogramming,
starting with full spectrum control channel scanning, login, authentication, and then programming the
radio as dictated by the central controller's instructions.

Elroy

rmiles

That's true. Most of the programming is done over the air. However, there is a serial cable and program that runs through hyperterminal call burn app that is used to download data and firmware upgrades to OpenSky radios. But most of the programming is done via the system.

jrm5265

system

I was just wondering our County/City just turned on Open Sky and it int working very well, weve been waiting almost 3 years for a "new system" and so its a huge dissapointment. It has seven sites and there are mounted mobiles and the 7200s, I feel sorry for Ma?com to be honest the thing was way behind schedule, some of that was Not MaComs fault though (site issues) its warbly (we knew it was gonna be digital but our radios sound so digital that to be honest its hard to understand the people, the talkies are heavier than what we had (moto) and MaCom hasnt been able to tie the dispatchers headsets in to the consoles so theyr talking into desk mics and theyr audio is low and then when a unit talks its too loud, the Fired Dep says that audio is so distorted sometimes thata its a hazard to them on fire scenes they cant understand it over the noise, they havnt figured how to interface the radios into tht efire engine headsets, the Motorcyle officers arent hooked up to their unit like they shoudl be either these are just side issues to the fact that it sounds horrible I googled and looked on here and saw where some areas in Pa had nixed Ma/Com and then one post actually had a link to a TV News report about poor performance of the system. I found another agency in Florida that dropped MaCom I cant believe that our 911 folks didnt see this coming I shudder to think that were gonna be stuck with these issues for the next few years, I think total outlay on our system was $5 bil. so Its not like theyr gonna take all the stuff out and give it back....I dont think. Are either of you familiar with much Open Sky does it sound bad ? is anybody happy with it?

Thanks
Joe

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
I'm not directly familiar with any OpenSky system, but come to think of it, I have yet to read about any OpenSky customer that's really enthusiastic about their system. But that's typical, it's always the
UNhappy customers you hear about, not the happy ones who have nothing to complain about.

AMP Wireless Systems developed OpenSky. M/A-Com bought it from AMP. And I can't help but wonder
if M/A-Com is starting to regret that decision.

OpenSky seems to generate more than the usual share of complaints. When's the last time you heard
of a state deciding to ABANDON and SCRAP a new Motorola system?

Elroy

jrm5265

opensky

no..........unfortunately I am an authorized user P7200 sitting here in front of me. Your right on the scanning I think thats one reason they liked Open Sky couldnt be scanned we were joking at lunch that local Radio Shack might as well send all their scanners back to the warehouse LOL

ITs a seven site system I think it ended up being about $5mil and it took us almost 3 years to get it, this last turn on we had was like the third one the first 2 were cancelled..........it came on this time. Everybody here is dissapointed the City was already on 800 trunked Motorola so we were ok, but all the County stuff was on VHF repeaters and they were really in bad shape some of them are saying theyd rather go back. My brother is with County Fire and he says they are scared its not going to get better and that theyr stuck with this for several years

Status
Not open for further replies.