• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Bendix King model MPH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I was given a Bendix King radio in Raleigh , North Carolina.
It probably sat in a warehouse for years.
It looks like it has been used and abused badly.
Big chips of Paint on the rear panel are missing, etc.

The little door over the keypad is intact, and the keyboard seems to be in good shape.

Most of the model number and s/n numbers have been rubbed off on the rear nameplate.

Most of the programmed channels are Marine channels, and two NOAA weather channels.
Etched on the back is NPS STEA 11992.
I am guessing this means that the radio was placed in service on November 9, 1992.
The battery says "rebuilt 12/17/03 2000Mah".

I think it is a VHF Hi band Model MPH.
I found a paper tag inside the battery connector that says 908283.
I am guessing that this is the S/N.

1) can anyone tell me how to positively identify the radio model?
2) how can I downband this radio to 2M?
3) I know I can manually enter channels, But can anyone point me to a source of programming software?
I cannot find the software on BK's website.

Dan
AI8O

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I was given a Bendix King radio in Raleigh , North Carolina.
It probably sat in a warehouse for years.
It looks like it has been used and abused badly.
Big chips of Paint on the rear panel are missing, etc.

The little door over the keypad is intact, and the keyboard seems to be in good shape.

Most of the model number and s/n numbers have been rubbed off on the rear nameplate.

Most of the programmed channels are Marine channels, and two NOAA weather channels.
Etched on the back is NPS STEA 11992.
I am guessing this means that the radio was placed in service on November 9, 1992.
The battery says "rebuilt 12/17/03 2000Mah".

I think it is a VHF Hi band Model MPH.
I found a paper tag inside the battery connector that says 908283.
I am guessing that this is the S/N.

1) can anyone tell me how to positively identify the radio model?
2) how can I downband this radio to 2M?
3) I know I can manually enter channels, But can anyone point me to a source of programming software?
I cannot find the software on BK's website.

Dan
AI8O

On further investigation I found that there are two Marine frequencies. two North Carolina Forest Service channels,
and 4 DOT/MURS frequencies.

What the NCFS was doing with this radio, I have no idea.

I assume that this radio was given to the state of NC, used for a while and then sent to surplus.

Any way on to my quest:

1)Can I downband this radio to 2m?
2)Where can I buy programming software?

Page two of the manual that came with the radio, Shows a "programming plug" with a "master switch" that is placed in the microphone connector, and that after pressing it for three seconds, places the radio in "keyboard programming mode". From the picture in the manual the programming plug looks like a microphone jack without the mike cord.

3) where can I get one of these programming plugs?

I have emailed BK, but due to the holidays and EOL considerations I don't expect a reply soon or if ever.

Dan
AI8O

petnrdx

MPH would be a mobile.
Sounds like you are talking about a portable.
If it has a keypad, then you can program it from that keypad by shorting two pins on the side "mic" plug while holding
down the function button.
Look on the Repeater-Builder website for more programming info.
Large, but great radios.
Nearly all of them would go to two meters with Ham&Eggs or GreenEggs&ham software.
You will need to figure out what model you have.

petnrdx

BTW you can make the programming plug from an old mic connector for the radio, but most of us just used the tip
of a key or a dime to short the two pins while pushing the FCN button.

petnrdx

Man my brain is not working.
An MPH is basically an LPH in a metal case.
You need to know the the four digits after the MPH to know if it is narrowband capable and alphanumeric.
Basic 14 ch model.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
Man my brain is not working.
An MPH is basically an LPH in a metal case.
You need to know the the four digits after the MPH to know if it is narrowband capable and alphanumeric.
Basic 14 ch model.

Don't need narrowband. I just want to put it on 2m.

Yes you are right.
Metal case =MPH .
Buffing up the nameplate brought out MPH5142'

I went to the comm shop of my old employer, that I retired from, looking for a programming plug.

One of the young guys said "WHAT? BK?? like Burger-King???".

Finally on of the shop guys who has been there since Sarnoff was around, said yeah I got one in one of those boxes in the back room.

20 minutes of digging and AH HAA!

Now on to figuring out the Programming password!

petnrdx

5142 is the better one.
NB capable and alphanumeric.
I think the default password was all zeros.
By now you have probably tried that.
Also saw the serial number used and a lot of the usual things.
I had one of the very first LPH's issued to me and carried it for most of my career.
Big, but a great radio.
I still have a few of those in a box in the garage somewhere.
Someday I may build a small repeater out of a pair.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
BTW you can make the programming plug from an old mic connector for the radio, but most of us just used the tip
of a key or a dime to short the two pins while pushing the FCN button.
The Master switch I got doesn"'t do the job>

Which two pins should I short?MPH 5142.png

petnrdx

Can't tell from your drawing and be certain...
With radio front FACING TO THE RIGHT.
Rear of the radio to the LEFT.
Top UP.
The two pins closest to the rear side of the radio, so they are one above the other.
That is pins 6 and 3 by Bendix-King's numbering.
3 is ground and 6 is PROGRAM.
Momentarily short those while pressing and holding FCN.
Should beep and go into the programming mode.
Remove the short and step thru the programming stages.
In YOUR photo, it looks like your pin number 1 and the pin above it.
Pretty much everything you might wanna' know about those radios is on the Repeater-Builder website in the
Bendix-King section.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
BTW what is a Master Switch?
In the BK manual that came with the radio (manual #09-94), on page two; there is a diagram showing a litle box which looks like a microphone cord connector without the cord.

A small push button is mounted in the top of the microphone connector.

BK labeled the little box "Master Switch" in the diagram.

prcguy

Most of the VHF BK handhelds I've downbanded needed the receiver retuned due to poor sensitivity in the amateur band. You will have to give up a little sensitivity above 160MHz to get the amateur band acceptable. You will also need a signal generator and a service manual to point out the tuning adjustments.

weathermedic

Premium Subscriber
In the BK manual that came with the radio (manual #09-94), on page two; there is a diagram showing a litle box which looks like a microphone cord connector without the cord.

A small push button is mounted in the top of the microphone connector.

BK labeled the little box "Master Switch" in the diagram.
Programming box. Puts the radio into program mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.