Benefits of the WRTV 2020 Handbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeThompson

First off, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but I am new here and you guys have like a million subforums!

I'm wondering what the advantages of the WRTV handbook over something like short-wave.info. I've heard the book is a must have for identifying stations, but doesn't short-wave.info do that already in real time?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
WRTH can be extremely helpful when one is without Internet access, or if one prefers one method over the other. Scroll down on that page and read the bit about Reference Books on the short-wave.info website.

I rarely use short-wave.info and haven't used WRTH in decades, but we're all different. Now, with being able to view and select via a waterfall, I can easily discern voice and music stations. If I like something I make a note, but usually I go with whatever suits me at the time as everything is temporary. Still, when trying to discern where the signal is coming from a reference is fantastic.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
In the days before the internet, the WRTH was the go-to book to check frequencies and schedules. However there's a big problem - schedules are now changing fast and furious, and print media simply can't keep up. This, in part, made the various update PDFs that the WRTH has on its website a necessity. That, along with rising publication costs and one or two other things killed off its competitor, Passport to World Band Radio.

In short the internet is a far better resource for SWBC scheds. The SW Info website only uses 1 source - the Aoki database- and if it isn't updated on a regular basis, it too will become out of date. And as any good researcher will tell you, it's dangerous to rely on a single source of information

Are there other lists? Yes, there are the EiBi, HFCC and a few others. Now you can get a spreadsheet that incorporates many of them. You can get it for free from the SWSkeds reflector on groups.io. You can download the spreadsheet so you can have it even if the internet isn't available. You can even get a downloadable file that you can put in some SDRs

You want to stay up to date? Get that spreadsheet and subscribe to a couple of reflectors that regularly report on changes in the HF broadcasting scene. These would be the World of Radio and DX Listening Digest reflectors - I'm sure there are many others.

You can find links for all of this here...

Yes, the net is the eventual death of printed publications in this hobby. The WRTH has been able to keep up to a certain degree because it has a standing in the professional world. But sadly it won't last forever...Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes in many cases the addresses are (were?) in the WRTH....it's been many years since I owned a copy..I should also mention that some are accepting emailed reports and you get an eQSL back. This is particularly true of pirates...Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
WRTH does publish electronic updates at least twice a year. Personally, I was a fan of Passport To World Band Radio back in the day, but it folded some years back. I have picked up a WRTH since 2015....just because.

EDITED TO ADD: For current schedule info, here is one location that would be difficult to beat: Log In

--
Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Yes indeed, very true - but even with Dan's Herculean efforts, things do slip. It happens.

It's also worth noting that there are some apps that can import the supplied file - which is really for a Perseus SDR - which makes finding info on a station a breeze....Mike

mbott

Premium Subscriber
[QUOTE="ka3jjz, post: 3303994, member: 1263

It's also worth noting that there are some apps that can import the supplied file - which is really for a Perseus SDR - which makes finding info on a station a breeze....Mike
[/QUOTE]

True. SDRuno imports the Perseus userlist.txt file and SDR Console imports the .csv file. Everytime Dan releases his schedule file, I'm updating both, well all three as I run both versions of Console. Plus, I have CSVUserlist Browser running with all my SDR software packages.

The spreadsheet is up and running on one of my pcs when I'm twisting knobs on a physical radio ... which is my preference.

--
Mike

Screenshot 2020-05-13 18.27.24.png

Boombox

If you can afford a copy and want to have a WRTH, it's worth it. Look at it this way: when the HF bands are nothing but static you will still have the book, a memento of a prior age where SW had activity. I still value my Passport to World Band Radio. Brings back memories.

w2xq

Mentor
Another useful piece of information -- at least for me -- is the station's web URL. I've been using the WRTH since just after its inception. While I don't buy one every year any more, I treated myself to a 2020 edition purchased at this year's NASWA Winter SWL Fest (https://swlfest.com).

Status
Not open for further replies.