Bennington County - unidentified

Status
Not open for further replies.

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Good afternoon, and Happy Valentine's Day to all,

This afternoon I monitored an unidentified Fire Department working a chimney fire somewhere in the Manchester area. They were on 151.505 MHz with a CTCSS tone of 131.8 Hz. It was a repeater and a bit weak signal wise, but considering I'm in the Albany, NY area, that isn't surprising. I heard Engine 2 and C-2 working 'Manchester'.

This is a new one to me, and interesting as 151.505 is typically an itinerant frequency. I don't know if this is something temporary or a 'filler site' repeater to extend coverage.

I'll have to keep an ear on it to see if anything more can be discovered.

Happy monitoring!

Kevin

WX1N

Premium Subscriber
Interesting... I did a license search and found a few companies with licenses on 151.505 but nothing that looked like it might be FD related. I spent some time out that way last summer and was able to find Manchester Rescue's repeater frequency, but not Manchester Fire (assuming they have separate frequencies, which it sounded from their communications like they might, but I don't know that for sure). I'd be interested to hear what else you find out or hear.

cmpsa

My business is licensed on 151.505 & 151.5125 in Vermont, and a few years back I discovered apparently two-way radio shops don't seem to care with illegal things. Turns out Bethel (VT) Fire Dept {Windsor Cnty} is/has been on 151.5125 Rptr D-351 going back 7 years now. 151.5125 is a business itinerant freq, and not public safety as you stated, and interfered with my legal usage in the Killington area a few years back, so I now use my permanent VHF business freqs/rptr pairs off Killington instead of the VHF itinerants freqs. So yes, I believe you saying you are hearing a VT Fire Dept on 151.505 (or 151.5125)...

ecps92

Would not surprise me that one of the Radio Techs is on the VFD and did some of his own magic to enhance communications
and the license maybe under one of those companies or the Radio shop

And Business and Public Safety have been mixing and matching frequencies for years, heck down here in the City we have PD/FD/EMS using what would have been known as Business Pairs [IB, now IG] and in Maine we have Public Safety applying for Railroad channels.

Pools of protected ftequencies have been gone, with few exceptions for years....
Interesting... I did a license search and found a few companies with licenses on 151.505 but nothing that looked like it might be FD related. I spent some time out that way last summer and was able to find Manchester Rescue's repeater frequency, but not Manchester Fire (assuming they have separate frequencies, which it sounded from their communications like they might, but I don't know that for sure). I'd be interested to hear what else you find out or hear.

cmpsa

We used to use 151.505 & 151.5125 as our two-way rental VHF repeaters all the time around the Killington area for dozens of local annual events, but after hearing it in use, and within our radio coverage area, so we switched off and use our local VT rptr pairs now, and just left the Bethel Fire Dept issue as is. Plus our local VT permanent VHF rptr pairs are much cleaner than any common VHF/UHF itinerant frequency pairs anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.