Benton County moving to AWIN 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
Benton county will officially move operations over to AWIN around Spring 2020. Benton County is also trying to update to P25 phase ii, not phase 1 like the rest of AWIN. See the following link for more details. BentonSO

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
AWIN is converting to phase ii so that makes sense they'd just go with phase ii radios instead of old technology.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
APX time! :) Multi Band, P25/Analog, Phase I and II...

Aren't the APX 4000 / 4500 radios mono band, though? I know they are available in all the bands but I though they were mono band radios. That's what's listed on the quote as the radios they'd get, along with some 900s, 1000s, and 1500s...

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
APX time! :) Multi Band, P25/Analog, Phase I and II...

A lot of departments already have APX 6000/7000 radios. Benton County is so far the only department that has put forward a time line as to when they would be transitioning.

What's weird is I already hear BentonSO on the AWIN, so they must have some sorta digital setup already

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
AWIN is converting to phase ii so that makes sense they'd just go with phase ii radios instead of old technology.

They really want the capacity of talk talk-group's and talk-group ID's TDMA has to offer. Digital in my opinion, especially when you compare it to the old analog voice, sounds amazing!! The clarity of voice whenever communicating on a mobile or listening on my at home scanner is incredible.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Aren't the APX 4000 / 4500 radios mono band, though? I know they are available in all the bands but I though they were mono band radios. That's what's listed on the quote as the radios they'd get, along with some 900s, 1000s, and 1500s...
Most agencies are going with at the very least APX 6000 or better for the ranking ones and those needing multiband interops.. For the ones that really need multiband they will buy APX 8000 all banders. Only a very few need that though as most only need either AWIN/VHF, or AWIN/UHF. Your basic Joe Schmoe will only get the simple APX 4000/4500. DPW I would only expect to get the literal simplest easy to use unbreakable radio LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

INDY72

A lot of departments already have APX 6000/7000 radios. Benton County is so far the only department that has put forward a time line as to when they would be transitioning.

What's weird is I already hear BentonSO on the AWIN, so they must have some sorta digital setup already
Benton SO has been using AWIN on and off to small amounts for a while. EVERY SO/OEM in AR has at least ONE AWIN radio as does every hospital. Just like in Garland County, the higher ups in the SO, and OEM were using AWIN for years, as were a couple of HSPD officers.

Last edited by a moderator:

INDY72

PLUS they will most likely do cross patching at the consoles for the beginning. My question is: Is Benton County going to consolidate Dispatches like most do now or keep it all spread out? And, just how much E will Benton use?

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
Most agencies are going with at the very least APX 6000 or better for the ranking ones and those needing multiband interops.. For the ones that really need multiband they will buy APX 8000 all banders. Only a very few need that though as most only need either AWIN/VHF, or AWIN/UHF. Your basic Joe Schmoe will only get the simple APX 4000/4500. DPW I would only expect to get the literal simplest easy to use unbreakable radio LOL.

The presentation he linked to only mentioned the 4500/4000/1500/1000/900 radios on the system quote is why I said that. Where do you see all this about them going to have 6000s or 8000s?

INDY72

He mentioned they already have several 6000's and 7000's. I mentioned 8000's for if anyone of the agencies needs to be able to do all the things, which I also stated would be rare.
slobonmycob said:

INDY72

I was also told about an Benton Simulcast.... I can't find any FCC data on that yet though....

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
He mentioned they already have several 6000's and 7000's. I mentioned 8000's for if anyone of the agencies needs to be able to do all the things, which I also stated would be rare.
slobonmycob said:

OK, I didn't see that part.

wbswetnam

They really want the capacity of talk talk-group's and talk-group ID's TDMA has to offer. Digital in my opinion, especially when you compare it to the old analog voice, sounds amazing!! The clarity of voice whenever communicating on a mobile or listening on my at home scanner is incredible.
Unfortunately, though, with digital comes.... encryption! (sometimes) :(

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
I was also told about an Benton Simulcast.... I can't find any FCC data on that yet though....

That is odd, but it may just be the FCC hasn't publicly uploaded it yet because, well, the federal government takes months to do simple tasks.
Benton County is simulcast is definitely there, I hear them rather frequently on my scanner.

My question is: Is Benton County going to consolidate Dispatches like most do now or keep it all spread out?

What do you mean?

INDY72

Is the county going to take all the separate dispatch centers and combine them into one single dispatch center or have everyone still dispatch themselves?

slobonmycob

Know-Nothingism
Is the county going to take all the separate dispatch centers and combine them into one single dispatch center or have everyone still dispatch themselves?

It depends, the smaller cities such as: Pea Ridge, Decatur, Gravette, etc.. will still be ran through Benton County dispatch but Bentonville, Rogers, Bella Vista and for now Siloam Springs will continue operating their own dispatch operations since they have so much traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.