Benton County WA - analog or digital?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to scanning and starting to look for my first scanner. I'm looking for something to monitor Benton and Franklin county law enforcement and fire departments, State Patrol, etc. Most organizations in the area apparently run analog VHF. However, local emergency services websites indicate that Benton County is in the process of switching to a digital P25 system, but I've found very little technical data. I was considering the GRE PSR-300; now I'm re-evaluating my budget and looking at the PSR-500 for the digital capability. The RR database currently lists Benton County as an analog trunking system, although I have read that the analog system will stay in place until all regional agencies have migrated to the digital system.

Anyone else listening to Benton County WA? What equipment do you suggest?

Thanks.
Daniel

icom1020

Premium Subscriber
I would consider the digital model as the web sites from BCEM say the 4th quarter is when the switch is supposed to happen, which is now, it could be later but it's going to happen. Your only 2(3) choices in a handheld are the PSR 500/RS Pro106 and Uniden BCD396xt. If you notice the officers radios, the MTS2000's were traded in for XTS models this year.

weco12

Other than Benton County law enforcement, everything would be VHF analog in the Tri-Cities area. Local fire officials in Benton/Franklin will continue as they are now.

Status
Not open for further replies.