• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Beofeng GT-3 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

LakeMan2

I am looking for some dual freq VHF/UHF radios for GMRS and Marine VHF for use on our boat/lake. I purchased a Cobra MR HH450 Dual to try. I also picked up a GT-3 which I programed to the marine and GMRS channels so I had a second HT to test with for now.

What I am seeing is that when I transmit using the HH450 on GMRS channel 18 for example (462.6250), not only does the BF receive it on the channel 18 freq, but it also receives it on channel 3 (462.6125). I can not hear the same transmission on channel 4 (462.6375). This holds true for all the higher GMRS channels. Basically if I transmit using the HH450 on one of the higher GMRS channels, I can hear everything on the BF on either that channel, or the lower channel number that is 125kHz below the transmit freq.

Unfortunately I don't have a third radio yet so I don't know if the HH450 is off freq or really wide, of if the BF is getting bleed through or what. I suspect the GT-3. I have seen some posts on UV-5R bleed through. If I correctly understand what that means, then maybe what I am seeing is not unusual for the BF radios?

Is there anything I can do about this?

For what it is worth, if I transmit with the BF, I do not have the same issue receiving on the HH450. The HH450 only receives on the freq I transmitted on.

Also if use the HH450 and transmit on channel 4 I can hear it quite clearly on the BF GMRS channel 4 and channel 18. So basically the BF is picking up the transmit freq and the channel/freq 125kHz below it.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
In your other post http://forums.radioreference.com/bu...85107-another-freq-choose-range-question.html, a lot of ideas were discussed. The problem with the CCR are the fact that they have a lot of problems with staying within proper specs.. That is one reason to avoid them and get a real radio if you are indeed using it for reliable emergency use. If just to keep tabs on friends it may not matter that much and I am not certain as to the CCR being approved by the FCC. There are numerous stickies that will show. I would suspect the CCR is the problem but have not looked at the specs for the Cobra. So can`t say if the GT-3 has good specs. And you do not say how far apart the radios are when you tried them out. And not certain if Marine Radio is approved for your area. And, as discussed on numerous threads, I cannot say if you need a license to transmit on the GMRS frequencies in the US. Again, this was addressed in your other thread.

Last edited:

JCNHB

I'm real new to radio. So excuse me if I'm wrong about this. But I have down 462.550 for GMRS channel 18. Or does this vary with different brands...?

Last edited:

LakeMan2

In your other post http://forums.radioreference.com/bu...85107-another-freq-choose-range-question.html, a lot of ideas were discussed. The problem with the CCR are the fact that they have a lot of problems with staying within proper specs.. That is one reason to avoid them and get a real radio if you are indeed using it for reliable emergency use. If just to keep tabs on friends it may not matter that much and I am not certain as to the CCR being approved by the FCC. There are numerous stickies that will show. I would suspect the CCR is the problem but have not looked at the specs for the Cobra. So can`t say if the GT-3 has good specs. And you do not say how far apart the radios are when you tried them out. And not certain if Marine Radio is approved for your area. And, as discussed on numerous threads, I cannot say if you need a license to transmit on the GMRS frequencies in the US. Again, this was addressed in your other thread.

Yes, based on the input given in the other thread, I have decided to move forwards and see if I can get the VHF/UHF working to meet my needs rather then CB. Yes, GMRS requires a license in the US, but it is a simple fill out the paper work and pay the fee. No requirements. I have that covered. Marine band is also legal in my area as long as it is used for communication on the water. That is why I am working on GMRS first. If I can get it to meet my needs I can use it for boat-to-boat and boat-to-shore legally If GMRS does not work out the Marine VHF is another solution that does not require a license. Unfortunately you can't legally use it on land (communicate with a base station), so that is an issue. Regardless, I got dual band radios so I could try VHF vs UHF and determine which works best in my case. Once I determine which works best (VHF or UHF) I won't really need dual band and could go with dedicated band radios. The Cobra is twice as expensive as the BF so I did not want to buy two Cobra's without knowing if they were any good. My choices for marine/GMRS dual HTs are pretty slim. If I can eventually narrow it down to one or the other, good HT options open up, which is my plan. So the BF was a cheap radio to use for testing.

Anyways, distance apart could be an issue. My "test" right now has been at home. So the distance was on low power from one end of the house to the other. Maybe that is too close. But fundamentally my question was if the observed behavior of the new Baofeng was typical or not.

JCNHB said:
I'm real new to radio. So excuse me if I'm wrong about this. But I have down 462.550 for GMRS channel 18. Or does this vary with different brands...?
Yes, my understand is that it can and does vary by manufacturer. The manual that came with the Cobra has a full channel/freq table and there 462.550 is listed as channel 15.

Last edited:

WB4CS

Not to be "that guy" but just in case you're not aware...

The Baofang GT-3 is not FCC Type Certified for GMRS (Part 95) or VHF Marine (Part 80.) To be legal, you'd need a Part 95 certified radio for GMRS, and a Part 80 certified radio for Marine. From my searching, I don't believe that radio is even Part 90 certified for Commercial/Public Safety like the other Baofang radios, which means "legally" it should only be used for Amateur Radio bands.

It's up to you to do what you want with that information. Good luck.

LakeMan2

Not to be "that guy" but just in case you're not aware...

The Baofang GT-3 is not FCC Type Certified for GMRS (Part 95) or VHF Marine (Part 80.) To be legal, you'd need a Part 95 certified radio for GMRS, and a Part 80 certified radio for Marine. From my searching, I don't believe that radio is even Part 90 certified for Commercial/Public Safety like the other Baofang radios, which means "legally" it should only be used for Amateur Radio bands.

It's up to you to do what you want with that information. Good luck.

I did assume it was Part 90 certified like all the other Baofeng radios. If, in fact, it is not, that is a real bummer. I am all for being legal. I guess that is just another reason to move to dedicated band radios once I figure out what works best.

I am still a little surprised that it can receive so far off frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.