Bergen County 480.1875

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dispatrick

Premium Subscriber

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
480.1875 is the input to 477.1875, which is listed as the Sheriff - Dispatch/Transport repeater with a PL of 156.7

KZK401 (BERGEN, COUNTY OF) FCC Callsign Details

Note that the WIK246 license you linked to is PW radio service, which is conventional not trunked. The FX1 class indicates it's an input to a repeater.

That frequency pair of 477.1875/480.1875 is also licensed for the county TRS under WPZH865. What that means for the future of the conventional repeater, who knows.

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
The freq has been license for over 30 years, it was part of a countywide intersystem, included NJ/NY PA, StatePolice, local, Passiac Co, Rockland county, then sometowns refused to use it, some never turn on the radios which were given out for free, most preferred to use SPEN , the Sheriff needed more coverage so they used the freq over the objections of the County Police cause it knock out the remaining towns using it - I think Paramus was the last to give it up....30 years...it will become part of the trunk system on or about January

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
It was supposed to take the place of the Low Band notification system they had at the time. Like was said, no one really wanted it or used it. It may not meet the requirements for a FB8 I don't know, so it could stay as it was a conventional repeater frequency, or eventually go into the trunked system pool.

Last edited:

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
The freq has been license for over 30 years, it was part of a countywide intersystem, included NJ/NY PA, StatePolice, local, Passiac Co, Rockland county, then sometowns refused to use it, some never turn on the radios which were given out for free, most preferred to use SPEN , the Sheriff needed more coverage so they used the freq over the objections of the County Police cause it knock out the remaining towns using it - I think Paramus was the last to give it up....30 years...it will become part of the trunk system on or about January

Just to clarify on a submission you made a few months ago, Rockland does indeed still have access to the 477.1875 repeater at Stag Hill. Bergen's radio tech has been contacted regarding the future status of the repeater, still waiting to hear back.

jaymatt1978

It's actually used by the Sheriff's D ept and they aren't going to the trunked system like the county police and......for now!! It will eventually be rolled into the trunked system. The county plans to keep 477.2875 analog and out of the trunked system for the towns on UHF and 155.5500 for towns on VHF.

Last edited:

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
No its going trunk on or about January/February moving very slowly with the installs, the system needs the RF channel, and Lodi PD/FD who use county conventional channels will be rotated into the trunk system some time in January.
If the towns want a countywide channel they can opt in and use the trunk system now or stay with SPEN
Rockland 700 is moving ahead - maybe they can patch for Mutual AId between systems?

The license from the original post is part of the "Bergen County Alert" radio system. You can tell the original T-Band licenses because they were three letter, three digit callsigns starting with "WI" that were pulled out of the regular sequence (they were issuing four letter three digit callsigns starting with KNA). It was the former "Channel 3" in the County's system circa the very early 80's (I'm thinking 1981) and replaced KEA334, the Plectron system on 37.38. When I got my first non-crystal scanner (a Bearcat 210 around 1977), 37.38 was one of the most active frequencies in it.

The original T-Band County Alert system was built out by Henry Bros. when they were the Motorola shop in Bergen County. The system consisted of Stag Hill as the primary site, with other sites in Palisades Interstate Park and Hackensack. The system set up Mocom-70 consolettes at each police department in the county with UHF yagi antennas, and Motorola monitor radios (they looked like Plectrons) with 2-tone decoders in police supervisor vehicles. Certain agencies got Maxar radios for vehicles. The antenna supplied was called an "oil derrick" because that's what it looked like. Those banged around and broke pretty frequently, and had coax cable with Teflon insulation which would get cut pretty easily with all the usually junk in the trunk.

Even though it was pretty ambitious, the system never really took off. In the beginning, it was mostly coverage related (the transmit sites had to be 40 miles away from Nassau County, hence the Stag Hill transmitter with corner reflectors pointing back into the county), but SPEN started up about the same time and did a better job. By 1987 many of the mobile radios stopped being remounted in new cars (or were damaged by having been mounted, dismounted, and remounted in several generations of cars) and the Mocom-70 control station consolettes were more or less left unserviced by individual agencies. I didn't see much of this past then, and by the early 90s, it seemed like there was none of the originally intended activity on these at all. Funny, I remember hearing MANY alerts on 37.38, but can't really remember one on Channel 3.

Channel 3 eventually became co-opted by the Sheriff's Department for various stuff.

Trivia question - how many Plectron tones were usually sent on 37.38 when there was a countywide broadcast? What seemed to be the most frequent broadcast?

radiomanNJ1

how many tones?

8 2-tones?? and in the morinings all the cars stolen over night, back in the late 60's 70's it was missing/runaway wifes
and why some towns never used it..as one older up county local officer said ... because they could care less about Hackensack, Teaneck, Englewood,
and a few chiefs would not allow any messages re-broadcast without their permission, so if the chief was off so was the radio so no messages were heard, until maybe at the next monthly Chiefs meeting.....

8 2-tones?? and in the morinings all the cars stolen over night, back in the late 60's 70's it was missing/runaway wifes
and why some towns never used it..as one older up county local officer said ... because they could care less about Hackensack, Teaneck, Englewood,
and a few chiefs would not allow any messages re-broadcast without their permission, so if the chief was off so was the radio so no messages were heard, until maybe at the next monthly Chiefs meeting.....
I blame Bergen County Police and the kids eloping from the JINS (juveniles in need of supervision) shelter for the ringing in my ears :lol:. I seem to recall 6 sets of long-A short-B Plectron tones, except when they had to broadcast a message for "over there" and "they" had weird-sounding tones. As I recall, most of the announcements were either along Rt. 17 or north of Rt. 4, and therefore had no relevance to my almost Hudson County town.

jvdet

every time a tread is about the County Police - you learn something new, and wasnt the 'first ' alert sent on the upper portion of the AM band?
It seems here (RR) that there are alot of supporters of having a some kind of a countywide police network, with the County Police, yet Westwood trying to reinvent the wheel and trying to start up its own in Old Tappan; I think back that River Vale who now wants to join in, ran a campain against the old Tri-Boro from being a 911 PSAP and dispatch center for them because it was too far away?!and dangerous, even though Park Ridge is the next town, RV even endorsed town council who were against such an idea....is it something in the water or have aliens taken over Passcak Valley...

Status
Not open for further replies.