Bergen County, NJ Trunked System

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPGriff55

Can anyone monitoring the Bergen County NJ Trunked System comment on the coverage? Since several municipal police departments (including mine-Hillsdale) have given up their own VHF or UHF channel and are dispatched on a county talk-group now, I am considering purchasing a digital scanner in order to continue listening. I live in a valley, so I am curious on how well the trunked system is heard, especially from my house on the east side of Hillsdale. BTW, I am aware that the county sheriff’s department is encrypted and cannot be monitored. Thanks in advance.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
I find it rather good.

One good thing is that whatever departments you listen to, you receive them all equally well no matter where you are (geography and terrain notwithstanding).

It seems, however, that the assignment of talkgroups is still a work in progress, so you have to keep on top of that.

Unfortunately, not all Bergen Co. towns are using the countywide system, being that they stayed on their old frequencies or, as in the case of Tenafly, moved to the State system. So there's still some bouncing around that needs to be done.

I have a SDS 100 with an "external antenna" ("external" only that it's not mounted on the radio, but still indoors) and it's all good.

JPGriff55

I find it rather good.

One good thing is that whatever departments you listen to, you receive them all equally well no matter where you are (geography and terrain notwithstanding).

It seems, however, that the assignment of talkgroups is still a work in progress, so you have to keep on top of that.

Unfortunately, not all Bergen Co. towns are using the countywide system, being that they stayed on their old frequencies or, as in the case of Tenafly, moved to the State system. So there's still some bouncing around that needs to be done.

I have a SDS 100 with an "external antenna" ("external" only that it's not mounted on the radio, but still indoors) and it's all good.
Thanks! Any thoughts on choice between the Uniden SDS200 and the 996? I’m somewhat reluctant to spend $700 on a radio that becomes obsolete when departments switch to encryption.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
All three cells of the Bergen system are simulcast (two UHF, one 700), so unless you live right next to a subsite, or don't plan on using the scanner while mobile...you'll probably want an SDS series. Any other scanner is a crapshoot when it comes to simulcast decoding.

JPGriff55

Thank you for the input ! I live in the northern part of Bergen County and plan on only using the scanner at my home location. So, would I program only the UHF north frequencies?

Thank you for the input ! I live in the northern part of Bergen County and plan on only using the scanner at my home location. So, would I program only the UHF north frequencies?
Yes. Program the UHF north frequencies only if you live in Northwest Bergen (near Franklin Lakes and Mahwah). If you live in Northeast Bergen (near Alpine), you should program the south frequencies only.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Any thoughts on choice between the Uniden SDS200 and the 996? I’m somewhat reluctant to spend $700 on a radio that becomes obsolete when departments switch to encryption.

The only experience with the 996 is programming other peoples' radios, and I don't know too much about the operation thereof.

I have a 100 which, as I say, works well. I use it as primarily a base radio, but am reluctant to take the 100 "on the road," because of the replacement price. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a 200. Due to the price tag, I'm not in a position to have both the 100 & 200, but I think the 200 would do well for base operations over the 100.

On the other hand, if I'm called upon to "respond" to a department which operates on the countywide system, the 100 is nice to have it with me.

Keep in mind: neither the 100 or 200 are radios which can be used "out of the box," since a serious "familiarization" period is necessary just to get it up and running. And even after that, you will be running into problems and questions which will require research (mostly here on RR) to get the radio to where you want it.

Concerns about encryption are like the weather: everyone talks about it, but no one can do anything about it.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I have 2 - 996P2, 1 - SDS100 and 2 -SDS200's and they are all great radios in their own way. I use all of them to monitor the BC TRS UHF side for now. I'm in South Bergen County, on my 996P2's I monitor the north simulcast sites because when I was using the South sites, I was missing coms on the TRS. Using the North site works fine and no SD. The 996P2 is great on analog channels. The SDS's are great on the TRS, but seem to be a little weak on the analog channels and miss comes, it may be because it spends more time on the TRS going through the site and the TG's then scanning the analog systems in my scanning experience.

JPGriff55

The only experience with the 996 is programming other peoples' radios, and I don't know too much about the operation thereof.

I have a 100 which, as I say, works well. I use it as primarily a base radio, but am reluctant to take the 100 "on the road," because of the replacement price. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a 200. Due to the price tag, I'm not in a position to have both the 100 & 200, but I think the 200 would do well for base operations over the 100.

On the other hand, if I'm called upon to "respond" to a department which operates on the countywide system, the 100 is nice to have it with me.

Keep in mind: neither the 100 or 200 are radios which can be used "out of the box," since a serious "familiarization" period is necessary just to get it up and running. And even after that, you will be running into problems and questions which will require research (mostly here on RR) to get the radio to where you want it.

Concerns about encryption are like the weather: everyone talks about it, but no one can do anything about it.
Thank you !

ScanXO

formally East Jersey part time south of the Border
Was in south Bergen, there's was a comment from some EMS about adjusting their radios that Garfield was considering a move to the trunk system.
Bogota may stay on the trunk system when they finally get new/replacement radios (after the lighting strike destroyed their system)
RiverEdge can anyone confirm they even are looking to move?

Status
Not open for further replies.