Bergen Record Article On Little Falls PD Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robinsmark

Anyone see the Bergen Record article (3 days ago) about Little Falls NJ Police Radio system? Apparently they are unhappy with the UHF T Band system's coverage and performance. The system has dead spots and officers are using their personal phones to contact HQ. In particular they mention Beatty's Mill area as a dead spot. This does not surprise me! They probably need a voter at Beatty's Mill. There was a reason why towns like this were Low Band! Oh well.

Tband

I bet this town will put in for a million dollar radio system instead of fixing the existing one!All they need is
another antenna or voter site like you said.Keep on eye on this,it should get interesting.

If I understand the article correctly, the contractor is blaming all system difficulties on the fact that one remote receiver site has not yet been deployed? If this is the case, unless units are transmitting from the section of town where that site is, everything else should be aok.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I think that North Caldwell has a site down by the mill. Heard them testing from that area about a month ago. Can a multi-million dollar trunked system be far behind?

I've got to wonder what the system looks like. The article says nothing that could be leading to a root cause. Covering 2.8 square miles with a 3 mile buffer around it should be fairly straightforward except for in-building coverage. I'm wondering if this is a T-Band noisefloor issue caused by WMBC-TV's transmitter co-location at Montclair State. I mean, we're looking at a 1 megawatt block of digital beginning at 494 MHz and they are receiving 481.25 and 480.15. I've heard that the upper end at 500 MHz has some very sharp filtering, considering many of the communities that have built-out on Channel 19, but not sure about the bottom edge. Wonder if Little Falls' built-out voting sites have additional filtering?

Status
Not open for further replies.