Berkeley County - Medevac to ground units

Status
Not open for further replies.

BM82557

I followed an vehicle accident this evening that was serious enough to require one of the victims be airlifted out. I heard one of the units at the LZ report that the chopper was on the ground at 8:15 but I did not hear any comms between the helo and the ground units. At 8:38 the units reported that the helo was off the ground, again I did not hear any comms between the helo and the ground units. Anyone know what freq was used for directs comms between the helo and the Berkeley County units?

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
BM82557 said:
I followed an vehicle accident this evening that was serious enough to require one of the victims be airlifted out. I heard one of the units at the LZ report that the chopper was on the ground at 8:15 but I did not hear any comms between the helo and the ground units. At 8:38 the units reported that the helo was off the ground, again I did not hear any comms between the helo and the ground units. Anyone know what freq was used for directs comms between the helo and the Berkeley County units?

I think for that they used "public service" (cellphone). they were trying Helo 2. I don't think MED COMM can either patch MED channels to a TG or other freqs to a TG or they don't know how. this always hinders their communications to any airlifts. I know during this wreck, they had a fire and another EMS call on the same TAC channel, TAC1. TAC1 is also used a the common channel to get to MED COMM. a fireman was really upset because he was on the EMS call and others were on the radio when he needed it. he finally got moved to TAC4

468.0000 Helo 1
468.0250 Helo 2

also, keep all MED channels and these on hand:

155.1600 South Berkeley Fire Tac have heard unit to unit on this
155.1750 South Berkeley Fire Tac have heard unit to unit on this
155.3400 have heard Berkeley Co. MED COMM talk with helo on this freq

121.5000 Air Distress
121.6000 On-Scene S&R
138.4500 Air Rescue
138.7800 Air Rescue
156.3000 Mar Distress Ch6
156.8000 Mar Distress Ch1
243.0000 Mil Air Emer
259.0000 Air Rescue Ops
381.0000 Air Rescue Ops

I had some of this in my other post here:
http://www.radioreference.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49687

let me know if you need any more info.

ResQR405

Berkeley County Radios & Helo Ops Channels

Here is the situation for Berkeley County Radios. We no longer use any of the low band or high band radios for anything in the field. Everything in the Fire Police and Ems world is on the trunking system. The high band radios are still in the Medic Units only to use 155.340 if needed but to date no one has needed to use them to contact MEDCOM. All communications for MEDCOM on done on MED C then they switch you to MED A, B, or D.

The sitation with the HELO OPS - every LZ is to be done on HELO 2 and HELO 1 as a backup. All communications to the helicopter and the ground units are done on these channels for LZ information only. The freqs are correct that are listed in the posts. 468.000 and 468.025 with a pl tone on both of them. Most MVA will be on Tac 1 and Medical calls on Tac 4. MEDCOM cant patch anything with the trunking system and Central has the ability to patch Wash. Co MD and Fred. Co VA and Morgan Co, WV if need, also Jefferson Co, WV but they are going on the trunking system soon.

Everything from the Berkeley County Old lowband, highband and UHF freqs can be tossed out the window because we dont use them anymore. We trunk for everything.

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
ResQR405 said:
Here is the situation for Berkeley County Radios. We no longer use any of the low band or high band radios for anything in the field. Everything in the Fire Police and Ems world is on the trunking system. The high band radios are still in the Medic Units only to use 155.340 if needed but to date no one has needed to use them to contact MEDCOM. All communications for MEDCOM on done on MED C then they switch you to MED A, B, or D.

The sitation with the HELO OPS - every LZ is to be done on HELO 2 and HELO 1 as a backup. All communications to the helicopter and the ground units are done on these channels for LZ information only. The freqs are correct that are listed in the posts. 468.000 and 468.025 with a pl tone on both of them. Most MVA will be on Tac 1 and Medical calls on Tac 4. MEDCOM cant patch anything with the trunking system and Central has the ability to patch Wash. Co MD and Fred. Co VA and Morgan Co, WV if need, also Jefferson Co, WV but they are going on the trunking system soon.

Everything from the Berkeley County Old lowband, highband and UHF freqs can be tossed out the window because we dont use them anymore. We trunk for everything.

thanks for the update and info. I think a few of the older 400MHz freqs were recycled into the new P25 system. the Sheriff's Dept's old freq looks like it is now being used for paging for EMS. I have heard 155.175 and 155.16 being used after the trunk system was in place. I wonder if some held onto their old radios?

why didn't they build in the ability to patch the new radios to Helo 1 or 2? wouldn't that make sense?

Last edited:

ResQR405

Correct, we use 453.525 to dispatch on, and yes some of the freqs have been recycled to use on the Trunking system. What I meant is that we dont have the ability to use the low band radios or the anaolg radio equipment in the field anymore, we only have trunked mobiles and portables.

wb8oif

And exactly what TGs are the HELO groups? I don't see those in the database. I know that doesn't mean much since there are a number of TGs not shown in the database. Sometimes from the conversations on the TG Jefferson Sheriff is using, it seems that they are not aware other people may be listening. ;-)
Interesting......hehehe

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
wb8oif said:
And exactly what TGs are the HELO groups? I don't see those in the database. I know that doesn't mean much since there are a number of TGs not shown in the database. Sometimes from the conversations on the TG Jefferson Sheriff is using, it seems that they are not aware other people may be listening. ;-)
Interesting......hehehe

there are no TGs for the Helos. they are analog freqs...see my above posts

as for Jefferson Co, I'm keeping somethings to myself. I like listening and want to keep listening.

wb8oif

Yeah Mike I read your post, but ResQR405 said "...we dont have the ability to use the low band radios or the anaolg radio equipment in the field anymore, we only have trunked mobiles and portables." So if they don't use any analog radios how do they talk to the birds? That was the reason I asked, guess I should have been more clear in my query.

Concerning Jeff Co., I keep my radio "open" so if it is on N.Mt. I can see the group, nothing secret there. I just was saying the deputies and radio operators don't act like realize they can be heard.

Do you know who is eventually going to be on North Mt? Berk, Jefferson, Morgan, Hampshire (I think) as well as WVSP.....anyone else??

TIA
Bob

mike_s104

Premium Subscriber
wb8oif said:
Yeah Mike I read your post, but ResQR405 said "...we dont have the ability to use the low band radios or the anaolg radio equipment in the field anymore, we only have trunked mobiles and portables." So if they don't use any analog radios how do they talk to the birds? That was the reason I asked, guess I should have been more clear in my query.

Concerning Jeff Co., I keep my radio "open" so if it is on N.Mt. I can see the group, nothing secret there. I just was saying the deputies and radio operators don't act like realize they can be heard.

Do you know who is eventually going to be on North Mt? Berk, Jefferson, Morgan, Hampshire (I think) as well as WVSP.....anyone else??

TIA
Bob

from what I can tell, the units on the ground CANNOT talk directly to the aircraft. they go through MED COM. which is a mess the few times I have listened. it also sounds like MED COM doesn't monitor the HELO freqs. all the time. in another post (link above) I mentioned the Hell that went on trying to communicate with everyone. I think (I'm no one to make any decisions) I would have the HELO and regular MED channels patched to a TG. makes sense to me but when it comes to government decisions, nothing makes sense anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.