Berks CO. PSP now dispatched by Norristown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Just swung the Yagi north and noticed Hamburg units (154.695R) being dispatched by Norristown.

Anyone know when this switchover took place?

Dave

trafficdan

Premium Subscriber
Dave I think its been like a year or more now. Easter of 2005 I was at their barracks sharing pictures and they were discussing the issues involved with using CDC instead of local dispatchers.

Its nice to be able to hear both sides of the conversation though.

ocguard

Are all station channels being converted to full repeater mode as their dispatching is taken over by the CDCs? Does anyone know about a timeline for the York station in relation to this?

Audiodave1

Database Admin
Sorry, no new repeaters in the future. No timeline is established either esprecially now that most of the Closedsky system needs to be re-banded.

ctrabs74

ocguard said:
Are all station channels being converted to full repeater mode as their dispatching is taken over by the CDCs? Does anyone know about a timeline for the York station in relation to this?

Nope. Despite being dispatched by the Southeastern CDC (I don't particularly care to say the name of the town because it's a town that's really unworthy of eminating from my lips), Skippack and Philadelphia are still on the base-mobile duplex system (which gets really annoying when you're in the middle of Chester County and trying to get Avondale station, which shares a channel with Skippack and Philly; I really don't care if Farmer Brown's cow escaped from some farm in Upper Hanover when I want to hear get some details on an MVA just outside of Oxford).

Prior to migrating to OpenScam, I think Lancaster and Ephrata stations were being dispatched by Harrisburg CDC and still operating on duplex. Sounds like E channel (Berks) might just be a fluke, but I can't really answer that at all...

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
ctrabs74 said:
Nope. Despite being dispatched by the Southeastern CDC (I don't particularly care to say the name of the town because it's a town that's really unworthy of eminating from my lips),

Is that really necessary?

ctrabs74 said:
Prior to migrating to OpenScam, I think Lancaster and Ephrata stations were being dispatched by Harrisburg CDC and still operating on duplex. Sounds like E channel (Berks) might just be a fluke, but I can't really answer that at all...

Lancaster and Ephrata are still dispatched by the Harrisburg CDC...only they're on OpenSky and not VHF. Jonestown Station will be the next to move over to OpenSky (date unknown, at least to me).

A few months back, the projected deadline for full voice switchover to OpenSky by the PSP was late 2007. Of course, this is always subject to change.

There are a couple other PSP stations around the state that operate on repeaters. PSP Carlisle comes to mind. They work on Channel D. I've monitored other stations that work off a repeater, but don't have my notes handy.
Ben R.
Norristown, PA

ocguard

PSP stations are using OpenSky for voice now? I wasn't aware. I had heard a rumor that PennDot had abandoned their OpenSky radios and re-installed lowband radios in their vehicles because of excessive coverage lapses.

Does this mean that the Amish school shooting was the first true test of how OpenSky preformed under pressure? Does anyone have and idea on how it handled?

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
ocguard said:
PSP stations are using OpenSky for voice now? I wasn't aware. I had heard a rumor that PennDot had abandoned their OpenSky radios and re-installed lowband radios in their vehicles because of excessive coverage lapses.

PennDOT has encountered coverage issues across the northern tier of PA (the coverage is still very spotty in some counties across the north). The problem you're referenceing was in the northeast (District 4) and was publicized in the news media.
PennDOT is still officially rolling out OpenSky, although certain districts will keep their lowband equipment until coverage is built out. District 6 and other area have been using OpenSky for some time.

ocguard said:
Does this mean that the Amish school shooting was the first true test of how OpenSky preformed under pressure? Does anyone have and idea on how it handled?

No idea what was used for this event. I would imagine things were done on both VHF and OpenSky since Lancaster and Ephrata Barracks have been the current test beds for voice. PSP units were brought in from outside that area and the PSP SERT team uses UHF P25 portables for tactical comms (still in use back in May when Bush came to Montco), so there's another band in use, too. In the past, when large incidents went down, PSP used 154.755 for coordination. As I said, I don't know what exactly happened at the Amish School...perhaps somebody else was monitoring and could add info here.

If I get wind of changes, I will surely let everyone know. As of now, the last official thing I have seen is that PSP still expects total voice rollout by the end of 2007. Have fun listening for now, because things will continue to get quieter over the course of the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.