Berks County "HELP" Information Wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrekMedic9287

Mods - please delete if off-topic:

In the years before 911 and CAD systems, Berks County used to identify properties by a 6-digit locator. Back in the 80s, I used to work in the Allentown?Reading area and always heard them used instead of addresses in the rural parts of the county.

Now, I'm working EMS in Berks and was very surprised to still see the placards on some houses and businesses!

So, now I'm wondering in anyone has any information about that system?

Thanks in advance.

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Mods - please delete if off-topic:

In the years before 911 and CAD systems, Berks County used to identify properties by a 6-digit locator. Back in the 80s, I used to work in the Allentown?Reading area and always heard them used instead of addresses in the rural parts of the county.

Now, I'm working EMS in Berks and was very surprised to still see the placards on some houses and businesses!

So, now I'm wondering in anyone has any information about that system?

Thanks in advance.
The book that we had sitting our our dispatch consoles was HUGE. Those old help numbers were back when people still had RD and RR numbers.
The County was broken up into zones and within that zone had a locator. It was still in use ( limited capacity) in the early 2000's when I worked up there. I Still remember the Help Number for my parents house :p

I dont know how they associated numbers to an area. They were mostly phased out when the Post office dumped the RD,RR box numbers for actual house numbered and road named addresses.
Keep in mind that Berks County doesnt like change. Especially if this was up in the East Penn Valley, Don-cha-no

Last edited:

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Believe it or not, it STILL pops up on Active 911 in the municipal information.
Interesting, I remember there was a pull down map ( think old school window shade) as well that was behind the fire/ems consoles when County was on the 18th floor, that was broken down in the grids as well. Phase 2 was non existent and “cellular” 911 calls would generate ANI/ALI locations to the actual cell tower location on mountains. Lol

I wonder if anyone actually uses it in the field anymore and if new subdivisions are assigned a number as well.

TrekMedic9287

Interesting, I remember there was a pull down map ( think old school window shade) as well that was behind the fire/ems consoles when County was on the 18th floor, that was broken down in the grids as well. Phase 2 was non existent and “cellular” 911 calls would generate ANI/ALI locations to the actual cell tower location on mountains. Lol

I wonder if anyone actually uses it in the field anymore and if new subdivisions are assigned a number as well.

Here you go! I've deleted the actual address of the call.
Additionally, just about every residence in Exeter Twp in the Baumstown area has the old placard on the front door.

Berks HELP.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.