Berlin FD going digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyPhoto

According to this 2020 RFP, Berlin FD/DPW is looking to upgrade to a conventional P25 system:

"The goals of this RFP are to procure a P25 phase 1, 4 site simulcast radio system."

Attachments

• 2020-15_Request_for_Proposals TOWN OF BERLIN.pdf
    250.1 KB · Views: 70

brndnstffrd

Also worth noting is that it lists Meriden as VHF P25, which they are currently analog, meaning they are probably going to be switching over at some point as well.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
The first line says " The Town of Berlin, Berlin Fire Departments & Public Works (Berlin) is seeking to purchase a state-of-the-art wide area voice network for use throughout the town utilizing analog simulcast technology" Then goes on to say to be able for "potential future upgrade to P25." So I would assume right now they will remain analog for the time being. But we shall see what actually happens. As for Meriden, still analog, has anyone hear if they were upgrading, or it could be a typo.

jperuta

Premium Subscriber
The first line says " The Town of Berlin, Berlin Fire Departments & Public Works (Berlin) is seeking to purchase a state-of-the-art wide area voice network for use throughout the town utilizing analog simulcast technology" Then goes on to say to be able for "potential future upgrade to P25." So I would assume right now they will remain analog for the time being. But we shall see what actually happens. As for Meriden, still analog, has anyone hear if they were upgrading, or it could be a typo.

I believe the Meriden is a typo.

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
I saw the update this am and programmed it in.
The question I have is I am using Proscan to program my BCD323P2. I chose digital channel and went to chose the correct NAC code that has been posted. Would “P25 7” be the same as NAC 007? I am more questioning the preceding zeros. Proscan does not have 007 listed. It’s just 7.
I tried looking at other digital channels I have as a reference but they all use 3 digit codes and no preceding zeros.

The question I have is I am using Proscan to program my BCD323P2
I believe you mean 325P2.

You don't need the NAC to receive the traffic.

You can leave the tone on Search and it will show you the proper NAC.

From the manual:

CTCSS/DCS/NAC Search - lets you search and store CTCSS, DCS, or NAC tones when it finds an active frequency

ecps92

Many software packages, drop the leading Zeros for fields that are Numeric, which may explain why $007 shows as 7
Really causes more issues when a depart is using a NAC of $000 :)
The question I have is I am using Proscan to program my BCD323P2. I chose digital channel and went to chose the correct NAC code that has been posted. Would “P25 7” be the same as NAC 007? I am more questioning the preceding zeros. Proscan does not have 007 listed. It’s just 7.
I tried looking at other digital channels I have as a reference but they all use 3 digit codes and no preceding zeros.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
7 is the same as 007. The scanner displays 7 and not 007. Try entering in 007 on the front panel keypad then go back and view it. It will show 7.

Many software packages, drop the leading Zeros for fields that are Numeric, which may explain why $007 shows as 7
What issue? The scanner shows 0 and not 000.

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
Correct and many folks [rookies] assume it means there is "No NAC", simpler if they would just fix it to display the 3 characters
Take a look at this image showing the scanner display and ProScan. I don't see anyway that 0 could be mistaken for 'No NAC' in the scanner or ProScan. The scanner drops leading zeros so ProScan does the same.

Untitled.png

ecps92

0 has multiple interpretations to a variety of users... a Zero can also be a NULL which can be intepreted as NONE :)
Take a look at this image showing the scanner display and ProScan. I don't see anyway that 0 could be mistaken for 'No NAC' in the scanner or ProScan. The scanner drops leading zeros so ProScan does the same.

View attachment 106723

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
0 has multiple interpretations to a variety of users... a Zero can also be a NULL which can be intepreted as NONE :)
It shouldn't when 'Search' is before and 'P25 1' is after. I guess with your line of thought, 'P25 000' means NAC 0 and 'P25 0' could be interpreted as none.
ProScan tries to emulate the scanner database exactly with the same parameters, parameter choices, & parameter formatting. If the scanner NAC contains leading zeros then ProScan would too.

{edit} None is not an option. Options are Search and P25 NACs when the Audio Type is set to Digital Only.

Last edited:

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Announcement just made to switch to digital.

chris

Chris,

Do you know why Berlin went P25 digital? What was their reason for the upgrade? Was it in an attempt to eliminate dead spots? A P25 system was more conducive to adding additional receive/transmit sites?

firebuff17

Premium Subscriber
@n1chu
I talked to one of the officers there back when this thread was originally posted. He basically said it was to follow national standards. I Don’t know anything more than that. He didn’t expand and I didn’t ask more.

Status
Not open for further replies.