Bessemer Police Getting Digital Radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMS-1

In todays Birmingham News an article stated that The City of Bessemer are to get 40 Digital Radios. It went on to say that the city council tuesday accepted a federal grant of $134,153.00 to allow the city police department to purchase about 40 digital radios for its police units. The radios are expected to be installed in about six weeks. When asked why the Police Chief said, the radios will be a major equipment upgrade and quoted "Right now everyone knows where we're going before we get there with those old analog radios".

dave911

Premium Subscriber
I'll say this... if that's the only reason they're spending the money for that system, he needs a new person in the position of adviser when it comes to the radio system.

SAR923

Are these digital radios operating on single frequencies or a trunked system? I assume it must not be trunked for the dollars they are spending. Seems like it's a pretty cheap price for 40 radios, assuming they are mostly mobile units.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Only around $134 grand? They must be the smart ones and searched ebay before calling the rep from the radio companies

medic9351301

Banned
i would think that they would stay on the county system i shudder that they would go encypted also i wonder if the simulcasting would stop

Why even bother with digital? If I'm a drug dealer or burgular I'd consider it a good idea to buy a digital scanner. Maybe the chief hasn't heard of them, he will soon when they start having the same problem as the analog radios.

My dad is a BPD task force officer and he said that when they went digital it worked for a while, then the thugs started to just simply get digital scanners. Most if not all of the big drug dealers have them now.

But I'm not complaining, at least we can still listen in.

dave911

Premium Subscriber
My dad is a BPD task force officer and he said that when they went digital it worked for a while, then the thugs started to just simply get digital scanners. Most if not all of the big drug dealers have them now.

But I'm not complaining, at least we can still listen in.

Great... that means that they've all been here.

Status
Not open for further replies.