BEST 155 Mhz BNC antenna for handheld scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

billpritjr

OK folks, price no object, what is the VERY BEST 155 mhz BNC antenna for a handheld scanner. I am NOT interested in wide-band, 25 MHZ to 2000 MHZ stuff. I am ONLY interested in the 154-156 mhz zone. I am happy to try out a 2-meter antenna or marine radio (156 mhz) antenna. What are folks using. Thank you.

Target listening is 155 mhz digital NFM law enforcement and fire comms.

Do any shops do custom cut antennas ?

Thank you

pb_lonny

Given how close that is to the VHF marine band, a handheld aerial for that band would be my first suggestion.

Shinobi1

I am brand new to scanners as of this week. I successfully got my Uniden BCD325P2 programmed and up running yesterday. While I'm learning all the ins and outs of this scanner, I'm curious if a longer antenna would be better. The six inch one that came with it seems totally fine, but every now and then things are either much quieter or broken up a bit.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I am brand new to scanners as of this week. I successfully got my Uniden BCD325P2 programmed and up running yesterday. While I'm learning all the ins and outs of this scanner, I'm curious if a longer antenna would be better. The six inch one that came with it seems totally fine, but every now and then things are either much quieter or broken up a bit.

You should probably start your own thread. You're getting off topic from the original O.P.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
The Diamond RH789 is an omnidirectional telescoping antenna for 95 MHz to 1100 MHz. There is a hinge at the base. It acts as 1/4 wave from 95-300 MHz and a 5/8 wave from 300 to 1100 MHz. This black, six section antenna is 7.9 inches retracted and 31.7 inches fully extended. Gain is 2.15 dBi from 95-300 MHz and 3.2 dBi from 300-1100 MHz). It terminates in a male BNC plug. 50 ohms.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
OK folks, price no object, what is the VERY BEST 155 mhz BNC antenna for a handheld scanner. I am NOT interested in wide-band, 25 MHZ to 2000 MHZ stuff. I am ONLY interested in the 154-156 mhz zone. I am happy to try out a 2-meter antenna or marine radio (156 mhz) antenna. What are folks using. Thank you.

Target listening is 155 mhz digital NFM law enforcement and fire comms.

Do any shops do custom cut antennas ?

Thank you

Are you monitoring at home? Are you monitoring in a vehicle? Or just with a handheld out and about?

If at home a base antenna as high in the air that you can get it will be the "best" choice. If in a vehicle a properly installed roof mount antenna would be the "best" choice.

billpritjr

monitoring from a car. rental cars mostly due to work related travel. I like to bring the scanner with me. no antenna installs on the car.

JoshuaHufford

Feed Provider
monitoring from a car. rental cars mostly due to work related travel. I like to bring the scanner with me. no antenna installs on the car.

Then I'd get a magnetic base and a tuned NMO antenna. It doesn't matter what rubber duck antenna you get you will never get very good reception inside a car with one.

Status
Not open for further replies.