Best 2/440 Mobile Mag Mount

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4uuz

I would appreciate any feedback on the best 2/440 mobile mag mount antenna.
It will need to handle a maximum of 100 watts.
Its going to be used with a Yaesu mobile.

Thanks for your suggestions.

ka4gfy

I also vote for the Larsen. My current one has been on 4 vehicles. It has been hit by low hanging branches and has even taken out a couple of birds. They are practically indestructable.

73, Rich, KA4GFY

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

+1 for larsen. Any NMO mount will work not just from larsen

kf4uuz

Thanks very much for the info. I still have a little more homework to do, but I am definitely leaning towards the Larsen models that many of you had suggested.

aaron315

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA7373KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Another Larsen vote from me. I've had one for a decade now with zero issues.

aaron315

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA7373KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Another Larsen vote from me. I've had one for a decade now with zero issues.

SCPD

QRT
Open coil

Another endorsement for the Larsen 2/70.
I recommend the open coil, as opposed to the closed coil version.
I have had friends say the closed coil cracked on them in the winter when they hit something with it.
I've had my open coil for about 5 years or so. Like it a lot.

LtDoc

The 'biggies' with mag-mounts are the strength of the magnet and the amount of surface area that magnet has with the metal it's attached to. That will determine the size of the antenna it will support and the amount of coupling to "ground". I haven't seen a mag-mount yet that was 'too big', but that depends on the use/abuse you put it through.
I think the mag-mount I have is a Larsen, but I just don't remember for sure. It does what it's supposed to do, and I'm happy with it. It is definitely capable of holding a typical 2 meter antenna just fine (a crowbar would be very handy to have when removing it).
Have fun.
- 'Doc

(I can't say a mag-mount is my preferred method of mounting an antenna, but I still use them.)

Nap

The Larsen is the default recommendation of radio shops here when you ask for a good magmount 2m/70cm.

LtDoc

FWIW
I'm currently using an older antenna I've had for a while on that mag-mount. It's not a Larsen, it's a Comet CA2X4SR. But it does double duty for use in the commercial bands along with 2 meters and 70 Cm. It's certainly comparable to the Larsens though (got one of those too). Biggest 'complaint' is that it's 'stiff', doesn't bend much. So you have to take care where you mount it. Best in the world? Probably not, but it suits my needs just fine. It won't be going away any time soon.
- 'Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.