Best 800mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumnjim

I have a PRO-96 and I am scanning primarily 800mhz trunked systems. I have had good luck for the most part, but I am having difficulty receiving a system about 25 miles away. Due to my HOA I can not have a outdoor antenna and I would like to also stay mobile(room to room). What is the best 800mhz handheld antenna or what is my best option? I have read different reviews but I would like to get some advice from someone who is not testing but has used or is using on a regular basis.

N0TDL

I have been using radio shacks 800 mhz antenna it sells for 19.99 , I live in Aurora MO which is about 35 miles from Springfield MO . It works well for me on my 96

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
The Radio Shack 800 MHz antenna works very well on the 800 MHz band, and isn't too bad on the other bands either. Catalog number 20-283.

raisindot

Sorry to be a nay-sayer here, but, for me at least, the RS 800MHz was compelely useless for my PSR 500. While it pulled in better conventional signals than the stock rubber duck, it did absolutely nothing for 800Mhz, both at work--which is surrounded by 800Mhz--and at home, which is around 20 miles away from the trunking systems I wanted to monitor.

I returned it bought the "general coverage" rubber duck. This one does a far better job of bringing in both 800Mhz signals and conventional signals than either the stock duck or the 800MHz duck.

Your mileage may vary, of course. Try it out--if it doesn't work, return it.

Suzie

hoser147

Ive had great luck with the RS 800 Ducky, even better since I put it outside and up higher. Now that the weather has broke Im going to get it up even higher on the mast instead of the temp setup Ive got.............Hoser

zz0468

QRT
Banned
There's probably not much you can do to get portable coverage inside from a system 25 miles away. At best, the difference between antennas you could consider for your handheld scanner is a a few db. That's not likely to be nearly enough difference to help.

Drumnjim

I purchased the RS 800 MHZ antenna and it has helped somewhat. Is there a antenna I can put in my attic that would give me better results. With my curnt RS antenna I am getting between 85 and 92 on the 800mhz system I am tring to monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.