Best AA rechargeable batteries for PSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizwiz

These Duracell AA rechargeable batteries are useless
They didnt last many cycles at all before causing the scanner to instantly die the moment its unplugged.

any suggestions on rechargeable ‘AA’ batteries that work well with this scanner

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
They didnt last many cycles at all before causing the scanner to instantly die the moment its unplugged.

A question first: Are you charging the batteries in the scanner, or with an external charger? If you are not using an external charger, I would highly recommend that you get one. With very few exceptions, the chargers in scanners are "dumb" and just charge until a timer expires. That usually means that either the batteries are not fully charged when the time shuts off, or that they get overcharged.

With that said, Eneloop Pros are very highly regarded. If you live near an Ikea, I've also had very good luck with their LADDA rechargables.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
If you are watching your budget, I have had very good luck with the EBL batteries from Amazon. They keep their charge much better than others I have used.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I think the only batteries I charge while still installed are my phone, my watch, my car and my motorhome, Everything else is removed and charged with a smart charger. I use a Maha MH-C9000. They're in very short supply right now because it's my understanding that it's being replaced. Anyway, there are other excellent smart chargers out there. They will extend the life of most rechargeables and, in some cases, can even revive them.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have had good luck with these Harbor Freight batteries when used with an external charger.

I've heard they have good batteries but I can't afford to go to Harbor Freight. If I bought only batteries, I'd be okay but I don't seem to do that,

GumbyCT

I've not tried the AA batteries from Harbor Freight but will say the batteries used in their cordless drill are terrible, terrible. AND if you buy their warranty you can use it once and not on the replacement.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I've had decent results from many of the batteries listed here including from Harbor Freight. But there is NO comparison to Eneloops. With that being said, I've had better luck with the 2000maH Eneloops over those with higher capacity.

budevans

dizwiz,

In the past I've used the Duracell AA 2000 ma NiMH batteries and I got 8 to 10 hours of run time with my PSR-500. I haven't had any issues with them.

Currently I am using the Duracell 2400 ma NiMH batteries and I typically get 10 to 12 hours of continuous use.

I never charge batteries in the scanner. I use both LaCrosse and a Powerex chargers. Again, with no issues. A plus with both of my chargers is the ability to utilize various charging modes. As an example, I periodically use the recondition mode. Which extends the usable life of the batteries.

One note, 2000 ma vs 2400 ma. The 2000 ma typically have a longer usable life span (more charge recharge cycles). The 2400 ma typically have longer run times per use. But the 2400 have a shorter usable life span. My current 2400 are two years old and going strong.

marlin39a

Premium Subscriber
I gave up on cheap AA for my scanners. I bought a supply of Powerex 2600 batteries, along with a Powerex charger.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Powerex NiMh worked well for me, with a Maha charger. Two sets of batteries would last me 16-ish hours of heavy use.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Regarding Eneloop batteries, from their website:

Overall, the best rechargeable AA battery is the Eneloop Pro. They have a high energy capacity (2550 mAh), and they perform better than similar high-capacity AAs. They can only be charged 500 times (versus 2100 times for regular Eneloops).

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
For my PSR-500 I currently use Eneloop or EBL (not mixed). For charging I use the Eneloop (Panasonic) chargers which handles each battery individually to ensure it is topped up appropriately.

I was burning through AA alkaline and started using Eneloop over 10 years ago. Most of those batteries are still in use, but for lower demand / non radio items. I then switched to EBL four years ago which are still working well. I am now moving to the Ikea LAADA 2450.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
There are several issues and most people are not considering them all:
- How much capacity does the battery have (2000maH)?
- How many times can I recharge the battery before it reaches end of life (2 years, 10 years)?
- What is the cost of the battery?

Certainly the "cheap" batteries like Harbor Freight and PowerEx will run your radios for hours and seem to recharge nicely. But how much life will you get from them? Nothing compares to Eneloops. The issue then is that higher capacity batteries typically don't have the same life (number of recharge cycles) as do the lower capacity models.

If you need the higher power (like for cameras and some types of lighting), then that's what you'd use. I'd rather use the lower capacity model, with a freshly charged set on deck; and get longer life over the long haul. I dedicate 3 sets to one radio; one in the radio, one on deck (charged) and one in the charger.

budevans

The first tests were for non rechargeable batteries. But, if you waited the Nimh battery tests followed.
The Duracell's came out as the best. The eneloops placed 4th.
Also note that the Japanese made batteries performed better than the Chinese made batteries.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
There are several issues and most people are not considering them all:
- How much capacity does the battery have (2000maH)?
- How many times can I recharge the battery before it reaches end of life (2 years, 10 years)?
- What is the cost of the battery?

Certainly the "cheap" batteries like Harbor Freight and PowerEx will run your radios for hours and seem to recharge nicely. But how much life will you get from them? Nothing compares to Eneloops. The issue then is that higher capacity batteries typically don't have the same life (number of recharge cycles) as do the lower capacity models.

If you need the higher power (like for cameras and some types of lighting), then that's what you'd use. I'd rather use the lower capacity model, with a freshly charged set on deck; and get longer life over the long haul. I dedicate 3 sets to one radio; one in the radio, one on deck (charged) and one in the charger.
I'm not sure where you got the idea that PowerEx are cheap batteries. They are priced similarly to the Eneloop, plus they have similar specs and performance. Obviously, there will be some variation from batch to batch, as with all manufacturers.

This review shows some decent testing, using photographic equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.