Best Airport Frequency To Listen To

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Bj_

Hi everyone you guys probably get this question a lot but what is the best to program in Tower or Approach Departure or Ground im near LAX

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Try them all and see which you like listening to. Unless you are very close, you might not be able to hear both the tower and aircraft on Ground. Same goes for Tower.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
As stated above, depends on what you want to listen to and how close you are to listen to both ground and air traffic.
I live close to two airports and like to listen to the tower as I am close enough to hear both sides. Take-offs and landings are the most critical phases of flight, IMHO.

k5xs

Premium Subscriber
I like Tower, but you may need to be pretty close:

LOS ANGELES TOWER: 119.8(HELICOPTERS) 120.95(SOUTH CMPLX) 133.9(NORTH CMPLX) 239.3(NORTH CMPLX) & HELI 379.1(SOUTH CMPLX)

K4DHR

IMHO, towers are kind of boring to listen to generally. Local is just going to be "cleared to takeoff/land" and frequency changes about 98% of the time. Ground you'll at least pick up all of the taxi instructions, but of course you'll have a hard time picking up the aircraft outside of a mile or two from the field.

I'd say that the more interesting chatter is going to be with Socal TRACON or ZLA.

jmp883

I prefer to listen to approach and departure control. I live just northwest of Newark International Airport, just far enough away not to be able to hear both sides of the conversation if I'm tuned into the tower or ground frequencies. When the active runway is 22L the approach path is right over my house. My Pro-97 handheld with multi-section collapsible antenna hears everything. If I want to listen to both sides of the conversation I usually go to Live ATC.net and listen to the tower feed. I usually don't listen to ARTCC since once a flight is enroute the transmissions are fewer and usually consist of just the handoff/frequency change from controller to controller.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
ATIS! :D

It's great to hear the weather at the airport.

But I'd listen to tower myself if I were near a commercial airport. I go on LiveATC and just listen to tower. But it's all in what you want to hear. Ground would kinda be mundane. All you're going to mostly hear is taxi instructions. DEP/APP is alright too hear the vectors and what not. But tower to me is more juicy to hear vectors and other stuff.

majoco

Stirrer
You haven't said what it is you are using to listen with. Any scanner will give you the choice of listening to many frequencies and you will soon found the one that has the most interesting chatter - bearing in mind that they are changing frequencies with runway changes and all sorts of other things. Trying to listen on a normal VHF receiver is pretty hopeless - one frequency at a time? Forget it!

Status
Not open for further replies.